Working on my first project, any tips?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by plywoodpete, Jun 10, 2013.

1. plywoodpete

plywoodpete Junior Member

I'm looking to build a boat out of wood and I've got everything figured out as near as I can tell, I'm just wondering if my rough draft is sea worthy.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Pete

Attached Files:

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

No, I don't think so. It might float, but no, that doesn't look too promising. Maybe if you refine it a little.
    Welcome to the Forum.

3. plywoodpete

ah shucks, back to the drawing board!

Thank you!

4. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Well, you have to say what you're trying for. I'm guessing it's a motor boat. It wouldn't ever go fast, like in planing. With a round bottom like that, I'm thinking it would fall over on it's side, maybe to the point of water coming over the side until it sinks. Try making the bottom flatter.

5. plywoodpete

I like the idea of using a sail, a flatter bottom would definitely be a good idea.

6. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Ooo, a sailboat... Ok. A hemispheric bottom like that I've only seen in submarines and there is no sails on them. Change the bottom and change the transom to let water slip away more smoothly. A sailboat has to go through the water easily. Make the bow so it cuts into the water smoothly too. A sailboat is usually tilted on it's side when sailing, so make the chines and sides kind of smooth and hydrodynamic also.

7. plywoodpete

Thank you for all your help, now I just need to incorporate your advice!

8. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

don't like to throw a wet towel over you but you really need to look at boat designs and get your head around what its about !!
    computer programs are really a major problem and while it may seem cool its completely not practical to even think of a boat that shape !! instability of what you have drawn is a gross understatement !! do you know anything about boats ??? have you even been in a boat on the water ???? how do sail boats sail ?? what makes them move and how do they stand up right ??Why do they have keels ?? why is a yacht hull the shape it is ??

9. plywoodpete

I don't mean to be sassy but I believe you will find that SamSam up there, has stated that the shape is unstable.

yes I have sailed a few boats before.

I looked into some of the theory and I figured it would be unstable and I thought that triangular construction just above the ribs might help.

Now then, I'm sorry to have offended your craftsmanship with my naivety and my back-talking sass, but I don't think you've added anything to this thread and you certainly didn't say anything in a nicer form than it was already in.

You might not have intended to be rude but I certainly feel like some crispy barbecue after a nice flaming.

Now then, structurally speaking a keel is what the ribs attach to and is basically the spine of the boat, hydro-dynamically speaking the keel translates forward momentum into lift and buoyancy, a boat moves through the use of motors, paddles or sails. Sails provide a force from the wind which they catch and are mounted to the mast, with sailboats a rudder is required for steering capabilities. boats stand up right because they are balanced and because of their buoyant properties. That should answer some of your questions.

You know your boats I'll give you that, but your people skills require work.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  10. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Tunnels, have you ever heard of Dale Carnegie?

11. plywoodpete

SamSam, that was quite the book. I think I have to re-read it now.

12. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Well, you probably don't need to, but I can think of at least one person that might benefit by reading it or anything else along that line.

13. plywoodpete

Oh, I know but good books should be reread every few years.

14. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I'm to the point where I have to reread books every few years because I can't remember what they were about.

15. Petros

Petros Senior Member

no offecnce Plywoodpete, but that hull shape you proposed is really quite awful, it would be uncontrollable, expecially as a sailboat.

Rather than try and teach you how to design a hull, why dont you find some sailbout hull designs that are popular and known to be good sailing boat designs, and than use that software of yours to exactly copy the same design hull. Study it, the shape, cross sections, etc and try to understand what makes it a good design. than go find some books on sailboat design and read up on the design process.

Than try to start over with your own design. Until you study the existing hull designs that perform well, starting from scratch on the design means you will be rediscovering what has already been done before.

good luck.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.