PFD Lifevest Law?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by n421fn, Mar 13, 2011.

1. n421fn

n421fn Junior Member

What's the legal requirements for wearing a life vest. I have a 12foot boat with a 8hp outboard engine. Am I required to actually wear the life vests, or just have them available. I live in Florida.

THANK YOU!

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If you are an adult in Florida you aren't required to wear them, unless riding a PWC, being dragged by a boat (skiing, tubing, etc.) or under that age of 6.

You have to have a PFD available for each person aboard and they have to be out of any packaging they might have been purchased in (or you'll get a ticket). Naturally, you have to have a USCG approved PFD (type I through V). This isn't all you need aboard.

Given the very basic nature of this question, you'd be best advised to take the Power Squadron boating safety course. Call Bill Moretti, 727-786-1609

3. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

In the mean time, wear your PFD before you even get onto the dock, it could save your life. Check what your laws are in Clearwater, because all 239 Clearwaters likely have different laws and only yours applies to you. Don't forget common sense because sometimes governments over look it...

-Tom

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

5. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

I understand.

-Tom

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.