Woodworking 101 thread. Beginner needs help!

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by CatBuilder, Aug 7, 2010.

1. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Ok, another question:

I've built a shop table and have the plywood on the table. It has a few residual waves in it that I expect to calm down overnight. All in all, it's very much in line now though.

I went down a smooth part with the Bosch planer (no waves) and the planer, on one side of the planer only, left gouges. So... I brought the $99 planer back to Home Depot and got at nice, $180 Makita planer. I think this will solve the planer issue. My planer was junk.

Next, I replaced my cheap angle grinder (10,000RPM) with a new Hitachi 6 speed polisher/sander (looks like an angle grinder). Here's a picture of it:

[​IMG]

The Hitachi goes from 0-3400RPM, much more appropriate for sanding.

I haven't tried this sander out yet either, but I have a question about the polisher/sander:

Everyone uses foam sanding pads for these when doing this kind of work. They use it in designer's video, someone on this thread mentioned to use it, etc...

Where can I get the foam sanding pads?!?

I have tried: Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, a small Professional Tool Shop, Fastenal. I spent all day today driving around looking for foam pads to fit this grinder.

It came with a 5/8", course thread arbor. It has no washer you'd normally see to hold the sanding pads on (that's an optional accessory). Any tips on where to find this kind of thing in North Florida or online with instant shipping?

Thanks! Hope to get some plywood done in the next 24 hours.

2. david@boatsmith

david@boatsmith Senior Member

Merritt Supply or Glue Products both in West Palm Beach sells both the ads and the discs.

3. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Get some good sandpaper. Most DIY sandpaper is what it says it is: sand on paper. I like the Mirka stuff, both for price and performance.
    You might want a backing disc without a central fixation, but with velcro or self adhesive paper.

4. CatBuilder

All fixed!

The major problem was junk tools. The new Hitachi polisher/grinder works perfectly. It'll even do scarfs on wavy wood, but with a new work bench, the waviness has been cut in half. Thanks for all the advice. Things are going well now.

5. CatBuilder

All fixed!

The major problem was junk tools. The new Hitachi polisher/grinder works perfectly. It'll even do scarfs on wavy wood, but with a new work bench, the waviness has been cut in half. Thanks for all the advice. Things are going well now.

6. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Glad to hear you're back on track. Must've been pretty frustrating....

7. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

yeah, good luck with it

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Sounds great. Best of luck. Post a few Picts when u have a chance. Cheers b

9. thill

thill Junior Member

Oops. Should have read all the posts before posting.

When I've been in that situation, I found it VERY helpful to sandwich 2x material top and bottom and clamp to keep everything still. The edge of the 2x acts as an edge guide. I've done a lot of good work using this method.

Also, a makita planer is a good one, especially if it has carbide blades. SHALLOW PASSES!

Best wishes on a great finished product!

-TH

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.