woodtreatment

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Thisisit, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Thisisit

Thisisit Junior Member

I have a tri-hull fiberform 16'. I remover all the top fiberglass above the wood for inspection. After talking to others and assessing the wood. It doesnt need replacing. But i wouldliketo treat it while I have access . What would be good to use and still allow an new sheet of fiberglass to adhere to the wood.?

2. frosh

frosh Senior Member

Hi Thisisit, you have posted in the section for catamarans and trimarans. You could check with the dealer for Fibreform boats. Otherwise a standard treatment would be to dry it if necessary and remove any loose wood. Sand down with 80# garnet paper. Probably best to treat with a fungicide recommended for marine use. Allow to dry and give two coats of a low viscosity epoxy resin to all surfaces.
    If the fibreglass that you are replacing is polyester based which is very likely, you will need to use an epoxy based adhesive to get a good bond between treated wood and fibreglass.

3. Thisisit

Thisisit Junior Member

Thanks Frosh, I really have no idea what knid of fiberglass resin bases it is?
    I just puilled up the old cracked fiberglass mat.
    As for a Fiberform dealer. it my understanding that they went out of business years ago. But what do I know about Boats.

Some of the wood samples still had the smel of fresh wood from a lumber yard. and with a color of green . Was thinking it was coppercoat....??

I saw Tri-hulls , sorry will repost .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.