Wooden Splines

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by edneu, Mar 7, 2003.

1. edneu

edneu Junior Member

Does anyone know a source for wooden splines? I have a set of standard plastic splines and would like to experiment with splines of varying stiffness/flexibility. I have not found a source for them, there is barely a source for plastic (acyrlic) splines. Anyway if you have a few extra wooden splines laying around, we should talk.

2. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

I have a pretty full set of 1940's Stanley basswood splines, including the rare and very breakable (don't ask, I used to have 2) "ship midsection" spline that tapers to nothing and comes back.
    Bad news is I want to keep 'em. Other bad news is that you need British-style spline weights for them, without the chisel-point.
    However, you are indeed a person of great taste and perspicacity if you are even _looking_ for a set. ;-)
    If I find another I'll let you know.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I make my own. All you need is a table saw with a fine tooth blade, a hand plane and sandpaper.

4. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Gonzo - that's a sure recipe for toothpicks in this household. ;-))

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I know it takes some work. However, maybe I'm hard on my splines. I just finished lofting a launch of my design an found a good alternative. After cracking two of my wooden battens, I went into my sail bag and took a fiberglass batten. It worked really well without breaking. I am going to buy some full length sections.

6. 8knots

8knots A little on the slow side

try some acrylic....

I have made a few from acrylic sheet that I liberated from the trash at work. Most sign shops have gobs of plastic laying around.
    The best is Acrylite SG (sign grade) sg is a hybrid acrylic more flexible than old FF acrylic but not quite as hard to work with as Lexan is. I fabricate all of my foundry patterns from it too. Standard thicknesses are .118 and .177. Ask your local sign shop for some drop to play with. Runs for about $2.50-3.00 a sqft. If you make a set and like em. put them up for sale! I will have the bronze ducks to match in about 2 weeks.
    Good luck 8Kts

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

What is the longest you can make?

8. 8knots

8knots A little on the slow side

size..

The standard sheet size is 75" x 100" but you can get it in 4' x 8'
    use a good carbide blade and feather boards on that table saw. You do not want to overfeed the material as it will overheat and leave a gummy edge. you can sand to 400 wet then flame polish the edges with Ye-Olde propane torch. practice first on some scrap you can scortch the edge in a hurry. "a little bit at a time"
    good luck 8kts;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.