Wooden speed boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Sculpture767, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Sculpture767

Sculpture767 Junior Member

Hi Guys,
    I'm new to this but are keen to build a timber speed boat!
    I'm after something suitable for both fresh and salt water, and one that can handle the rough stuff. Will be mainly used in fresh water, but want to use it for the occasional ocean fishing. The Donzi deep v looked good , but after reading some of the comments, it does'nt plane well, and is probably a little dated in the hull department. The budget is restricted so an outboard is probably going to be used, unless I dismantle the Fz1! Any info on type and plans ( books) for a boat around 16ft would be appreciated.
    Cheers Sam

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

There are lots of designs to choose from. Try Glen-L,com and Bateau.com for a few to look at. Avoid radically deep V hulls, as they require a fair bit more power, just to get up on plane. Modest V or warped bottom V hulls are better suited to protected and semi protected waters and don't need as much power to get up and scoot, particularly on a budget.

I'm not sure what size or layout you're looking for but the 15' 9" Console Skiff from Glen-L is easy and inexpensive to build and can take motors up to 40 HP.

3. Sculpture767

Sculpture767 Junior Member

Thanks Par, I have looked at the Glen-L designs and the bass looks good...will have a look at the Console Skiff.
    I've seen some older outboards going rather cheap, so I suppose I could go up to 150hp max. Would prefer something around 75hp incase others want to water ski. But I don't want a boat that will be swamped when turning in bad weather! I would like a classic design, but they all seem to have their issues.
    Cheers Sam

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.