Stringer and Transom repair

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Mickey Finn, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Mickey Finn

Mickey Finn Junior Member

I'm not sure if I got the right forum but I'm interested in information on replacing soft stringers and transom on a 1992 255 Penn Yan Intruder. It is an I/O boat. As far as I could tell the stringers are soft from the fuel tank area towards the stern and the lower part of the transom is soft too. I don't own this boat yet but I think I can get it at a good price. At first I thought I could remove the screws from the joint behind the rub rail and remove the top. It looks like there is some sort of sealant there. Would this be possible or would that sealant prevent me from separating the top from the hull? Depending what I found after removing the engine and fuel tank, I might just be able to cut the floor out to do the repairs and then glass it back in when done. From what I've read, it is ok to use a sister joint to connect the replacement part of the stringers to the existing good stringers towards the bow. Does that sound reasonable? Would I have to replace the complete transom or would I be able to start at the bottom and remove the bad wood until I got to solid wood and then replace the rotten lower section of it? Again this is an I/O. I'd be interested in input from people who have experience in this. Just wondering what approach to use to access the damage and whether it is even worth it. If I have the wrong forum, let me know and I will repost in the right one. Thanks

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Mickey, you have the right forum. You can get advice from some experienced people here.

More than one of us will suggest that you examine the boat at every nook and cranny. If there is rot in one area there may be hidden problems in other places.

Assess the engine, the outdrive, the hydraulics, steering gear, and everything else. What appears to be a good deal for a fixer upper can and often does end up as the most expensive boat that you wish you had not bought.

Of course there are some boats that would make a good buy. Be doubly sure that the Penn Yan is one of them.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.