Wooden masts & mast steps

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by yachtadina, Jun 22, 2004.

1. yachtadina

yachtadina New Member

I have just bought a yacht for (single-handed) offshore cruising. Unlike my previous yachts, this one has timber spars. I am used to having mast steps which enable me to go up any time.

I have never seen steps on timber spars which suggests a reason beyond asthetics. I would like some thoughts/advice on putting steps onto a timber spar. How much would I be risking by doing so?

A landlubber friend suggested metal straps to hold them in place. I wonder if anyone has come across this in use.

Any comments and suggestions would be welcome.

2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

You want to minimize penetrations (screws, bolts, etc.) into the mast because each screw hole is a possible location for moisture to enter the wood and cause rot. Normally access aloft is by ratlines on the shrouds or by bosun's chair.

On old vessels with mast hoops the crew used to use the hoops as ladder rungs, but I suspect that your boat is neither that large nor rigged with mast hoops. ;) :D

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Andy Reid

We've got a Tayana cruising yacht with Canadian oregan stick that has folding aluminium steps all the way up. They are great for reefspotting and rig checking when alone. I stripped the mast last year and checked out all fittings. The steps were held in by 3 woodscrews each and all were fine. For sure as the other correspondant says, you want to minimise potential water ingress so get into each hole with "evidure" or similar each time you remove any fittings and make sure your sika bedding is kept good on all fittings and you'll be good as gold.
    Purests will tell you to varnish your mast so as to spot any damp spots asap but varnish is a lot of work compared to 2pot urethane! Your call.

Andy

4. Seeking Gordon Gregg

Hi

If this is Gordon Gregg please reply to my email sent to your email address. If no email has been received please advise your current email address so I can send the email again.

Thank you.

Laurence Sive (known by Gordon Phelps) email:laurence911@xtra.co.nz