Wooden Boat

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by shakeyj, May 8, 2006.

1. shakeyj

shakeyj Junior Member

Over the weekend I decided I wanted to build a fast and easy boat. So starting on Saturday, I cut 2x4s into three strips each and made a frame. The frame is eight ft long, two feet wide, and one foot tall.
    It looks like a rectangular box that goes up at a 45 degree angle at both ends. My question is what to make the skin out of and what to seal it with. My neighbor suggested masonite, and I don't know if that will work.

1 person likes this.
  2. frosh

frosh Senior Member

ShakeyJ, do a little bit of reading on some basics before you go any further.
    You seem to have about as much clue as a barber doing open heart surgery! :eek:

3. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

That's a bit harsh Frosh....Our local surgeon does a lovely haircut...

Shakey - you might give your frame more strength by cladding it with bricks and mortar...But don't launch until the mortar is dry... Alternatively check the web sites for simple plans for backyard boating projects. There are many simple designs - and seaworthy at that.:rolleyes:

4. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

let me put it this way...my boat building and design library consists of over 70 books, all read at least once...and I have just scratched the surface. Don't let that discourage you because 5 years ago I was about the same as you...and the boat I built still sits in the backyard having never seen water. I have since designed and built a dozen more small boats, none fancy, that have all at least floated and mostly met the design criteria. I suggest you do a bit more reaserch...when you know what LCF, LCB, LCG, CE, CLR, CP, SLR, MEK-P and amines are and how to use them, then go back to your boat and look at it and build on.

Steve
    PS: Clad in 1/4" plywood your boat would be a nifty horse trough, would probably float, would be reasonably stable... in a millpond and would probably move out of it's own way with a double paddle. Basically it is a narrow one man barge.

5. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Seriously, use plywood, wbp preferable, and epoxy.
    Paint or varnish (uv filter).

1 person likes this.
  6. Mikey

Mikey Senior Member

6 mm marine plywood and a layer of fibre glass, any resin will do for a project like that.
    Come on, go for it ( and read a few books on the subject ;) )

7. VKRUE

VKRUE Just another boat lover

Hey newbie Boat builder.................

ShakeyJ:

There is a thread similar to yours that you might wish to read. It is located in the Construction section under "Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building". The name of the thread is "quick question about bondo". There are many other similar threads too.

I have to agree with Frosh in that you should do some serious reading / research before going any further.

Also agree with Lewisboats, you need to learn a lot more, as do I myself ! :)

If your serious, I wish you best of luck with your project.
    Don't let the horses nibble on your Gunwails while they're taking a drink :D :D

VKRUE

8. lewisboats

Here is your boat at a perfectly ballanced 225 lbs displacement. It draws 3.3 inches (slightly more in fresh water), probably weighs about 35lbs, has a CP of .9583, 17 sq ft wetted surface area, LCB is 4 ft, LCF is the same, CG will depend more on where you are than anything else. CLR and CE are moot points, speed you might actually get to...about 2.8 kts or 3 mph given a generous SLR of 1.1. I wouldn't waste the money on amines...go with MEK-P.

Steve

Attached Files:

9. lewisboats

Would you seriously shell out for MARINE ply...then use Poly on it?:confused: :) ....For this?:eek:
    I would think exterior BC or even luan underlayment would do the trick.

Steve

10. shakeyj

shakeyj Junior Member

Thanks, I'll probably try plywood. Here is a simple picture of the frame View attachment scow2.doc . This was just a fun thing to try over the weekend, and when I said fast I meant to make. Should I use resin just on the seams, or everywhere? All I'm going to do with it is use it in small creeks. My basic plan was to build a small fishing platform, I'll let you know how it goes. I'm only fifteen so if it fails I'll just blame it on that.

11. hansp77

hansp77

When I was fifteen I built a 'boat' out of big blocks of styrofoam tied together.
    It worked a treat for what we wanted to do on it, float in the creek and fall off and attempt to get back on before the 'knots' slipped, or the 'rope' sliced through the foam.
    Shakeyj, good on you for trying, I rekon your boat is going to be a lot better than mine was.

If you are using cheap plywood,and resin, and you want it to last a while I think you will have to cover it completely- inside and out with resin. But resin aint cheap, so if cheap is the priority then maybe you should just slapp on as much oil primer and oil paint as you can find in the garage, try to keep it dried out when not in the water, and just see how long it lasts.
    How did you make the frames?
    If you have used normal nails or something then these are likely to corrode. Ideally you would use stainless or silicon bronze nails or screws but these wold then probably outlive the boat!
    You might want to consider making sure your frames are very secure, maybe pull them apart and glue as well as screw them together again.
    If these wobble appart slowly as you move around your boat, then it is going to begin leaking and dying very quickly.

If I was you and I had the materials at hand (ie in dads cuboard) I would use a, penetrating epoxy resin (which is thin) to soak into the wood, then while the first is still tacky a thicker layer of resin- to bond to the first and form a barrier over the wood- Then you will have to paint over the resin to protect it from the sun. This could be a very expensive though (epoxy) (for dad or you) and is probably complete over-kill.

A lot would depend on what other materials you have at hand?
    Paint, resin, nails, glue- etc...
    Or do you have to buy everything?
    How long do you want this to last?

Having ranted on,
    considering that you don't seem too concerned wether this fails or succeeds,
    I would probably just put resin on the seams, and go for the primer and oil paint option (much cheaper especially if you borrow a few old tins from somewhere). Make sure you completely cover and seal all of your end grain and nail/screw holes (with resin if you can, otherwise just paint, thinned first to soak in then thicker on top). Then just be carefull with the thing. Don't leave it in the water for too long, and keep it under cover when not in the water. If paint scrapes or scratches off then when you have dried it out again, touch it up.
    By the time it dies you will probably be too big for it anyway, and maybe ready to tackle your next boat.

Good luck and good fishing.
    Hans.

1 person likes this.
  12. Mikey

Mikey Senior Member

If I were to put some additional money on something for this boat, it would be on marine plywood, it is made to be where the boat will be, in the water. True, it is also more expensive and this is supposed to be a cheap project. Standard ply then, agree! still think that epoxy is too expensive though, how about vinyl as in-between compromise

Mikey

13. VKRUE

VKRUE Just another boat lover

Many appollogies.......... For mis-understanding

Sorry ShakeyJ, mistook you for an Idjit !!!

Forgiveness Please...............:)

Considering what your trying to do, I would suggest that you use some regular 3/8" plywood ( a decent grade / non marine, would be sufficient) and coat it with C.P.E.S. Clear Penitrating Epoxy Sealer is not cheap but, I believe that your money would be better spent buying a quality sealer for you wood rather than expensive wood and equally expensive sealer or paint.

You won't complete this in a weekend, might take 2 or 3 maybe even 4 but you'll wind up with a small boat that will last a couple 2 or 3 years.

Your fasteners are very important. Don't use regular nails and screws if you can help it. They will rust and corrode, leaving you in a bad position rather quickly. Silicone Bronze is ideal or stainless. Any one of us here can steer you toward a couple of handsful of these easily enough, and not too costly. As suggested in an earlier thread, a good glue would be helpful too.

After coating with C.P.E.S. you will be able to paint with just about anything you want to.

After you have completed this project, I have an issue (several actualy) of Wooden Boat Magizine that has what I believe would be an ideal project boat for exactly what you have described and want to do. It is designed for slow, shallow water. Good for fishing. Can mount a small outboard (3 - 5 hp) or use a paddle or even a long pole to push with (in shallow water). The plans, drawings, materials list and whatnot can be easily obtained from the folks at Wooden Boat. If interested, just ask and I can dig it up for you.

Take you time... this might be more interesting than you anticipate :p

Best of luck,

VKRUE

14. shakeyj

shakeyj Junior Member

My dad doesn't have anything so I'll have to buy everything except paint. For the screws I used zinc-plated and I figured I will put putty over them. I think I'll just paint it and touch it up. How should I seal the seams if I use this method? The frame is very sturdy (my neighbor helped with that) and the screws are very long so I should be fine there. As long as it floats without leaks or flipping over I'm happy.

15. Ike

Ike Senior Member

stitch and glue! quick and dirty. for what you want build a stich and glue jon boat. flat bottom a little rocker, angle the sides out about 10 to 15 degrees and make the bow a little narrower than the stern. throw two or three seats across the inside and go fishing. The whole boat can be built of plywood and a few pieces of wood. The seams can be sealed with fiberglass tape and resin. Minimal cost. It can be done in a weekend.