Wooden Boat Restoration

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Butch .H, Jun 1, 2008.

1. chowdan

chowdan 1980 PAC41 Liveaboard

Butch

shes just about the perfect size for me! I'm going to keep an eye out for something like this yacht!

I had a model yacht that the hull design was similar to the one you have.

2. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

The only place I am not bleeding form after a weekend on this project is my eyes(Yet):mad:

3. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Please update us you old fart

we want to see pictures or are you bloomin loafing

stop this nonsence and get working on that boat

now ek se - right now asap

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

4. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Manie it is so bloody hot and dry I work from 17H00 till about 23 H00. No neighbours too close no complaints. I have cut and fitted(sized ) half of the hull planks. Fitted fasteners and so on . Now to pull it all to bits and apply sika and put it all back together again. You tend to mount every plank atleast 3 or 4 times . I have learnd that when your hands are full of sika you dont scratch your croch,head or ***:D :D :D .The thinners burns like hell:D :D . In between hull planks I am cutting deck planks. I mannaged to obtain a Delta bench saw from the auctions.It has a plane attached verry handy. Are you interested in a Ryobi bench saw.

Regards
    Butch
    P.S. Photos tomorrow

5. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Too tired too work tonight:mad:

so i came here to bug you:idea:

whats up doc:D

where are the bloomin pics you have been promising:p

jeez i find that when i worked hard over the weekend - Fri 4 hours - Sat 8 hours- Sun 6 hours- Mon 2 hours- Tue 4 hours comes tonight = Wed i am so knackerd that i can hardly lift my frikken arms.

How many hours are you managing?:?: or are you only getting stuck in over weekends

How is your time line looking nowadays

i just feel if i dont set tough targets for myself i will let the missus - house - garden get in my face, already told the kids that i am advertising them for sale in the Junk Mail:D

i still am hoping to see the water during the December holidays - even if it is an empty painted shell with the 5 hp outboard on and the COOLER BOX:D :D :D

6. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Hi Manie

I manage a few hours a day with a 12 to 18 hr push on Saturday's. I am actualy suprised at how quick some things go. In about two hours I had cut and sealed the hull planks. Then the stripping of the deck came allong good grief that took weeks the crap that was used to fasten the bits and pieces of plank. The preveous owner was defenatly a nutter or owned a epoxy factory. I have revised my time line I will have her afloat in Feb and will do the finishing on the water. That would be the electronics and bits and pices. She will probebly take a few months after Feb to be seaworthy.I am shutting down from the first of December to the fifteenth of Jan 09. I recon that should give enough time to finish the bulk of the wood work. I have been fortunate as far as the wood is concerned.I swoped a ower size sail for all the planking deck and hull.

Will post pics soon just been finishing late the last few weeks.

Vas byt ouboet

7. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

You lucky b....! :D Aswell waiting the pics..

8. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Ok you lot some pics. I am not a artisan wood worker or do I claim to be a good wood worker.I do however know how to keep my chisels sharp:D .The pics show some of the many componants that need replacing:( . Alls good. The animal depicted in one of the photos is Ralph my 4" tall Rotviler who likes to chew the bits I am trying to use as paterns:mad: Also in the pics is my Delta saw and plaine I bought for nex to nothing at a auction::)

Attached Files:

9. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Good on you pal

keep on at it

how about a couple of pics of the boat please

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

10. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Have look. The real work starts now. Sanding pulling up bolts sealing then the sheath. Port side is a week away from reciving decking:) :) :)

Attached Files:

11. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

12. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Meranti ply deck underlay and meranti veneer for the hull arrived today:) :) :) :) .Going to buy a bottle of Jack and a pack of voltarin .Going to be a busy weekend:D

13. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

I am going to take you up on that offer to sail by "Point" and "moon" all those old farts.

Jeez it looks like you and i are the only mad sh1ts to work on boats in this whole bloomin country!

We will have to invite Wynand and Fanie along because at least they show some interest!

Hmmmm - Jack and Voltaren - could work hey???

I shut down Fri 12 Dec 2008 to Mon 12 Jan 2009 - gawd i cant wait - this has been a **** year. I really would like to go down to your neck of the woods for 2 or 3 days - try out some of your medicine and give you some irritating advice on how not to build your boat :D

seeing that you and i might just be South Africa's "odd couple" aka Jack Lemmon & Walter Matthau we might as well go around pissing on "Points" threshold:D :D

and as Fanie observed i can still hold my pipe and when i am pissed i can still crawl:D

its 4:30 now - and i am going to work on my boat - cheers

Attached Files:

14. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

You are on for December. I am worried about Fanie he thinks George W has a brain:D . We will have to re educate him over December:D

15. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Hey Manie, whos the old git in the pictures? better tell'im not to buy any long books.... :D :D