Wooden Boat Renovation Forum

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Doctor Dave, Mar 21, 2003.

1. J Ralph

J Ralph Junior Member

ok,Im getting ready to west system my 47ft robert rich white ceader on oak frame dragger.A buddy of mine just got done doing his over and it came out fantastic.He has a 40ft wood dragger..he sand blasted the whole hull,cleaned out all the seams,filled them in with cabosil.He used bi-axle mat and I don't know how many gallons of west system(at least 60-70 gallons).I think the part thats most amazing is the paint job.He used some kind of epoxy primer and I don't know what for a top coat,but his steel doors that spread the net hang fron the steel dragging frame and lay against the hull and scrape and bang against the hull and it has only scrached the paint.I think the hardest part will be glassing around the sternpost and reattaching the outside cutlass bearing,and the glassing around the keel.will try to post some pictures .....before,during and after(will have to have my 13 year old do that)Any ideas and advice will be greatly appreciated

2. Mike H

Mike H Junior Member

Hello, Just saw your post, are you still doing the project? How are you douing?I have a yard up in Cumbria .

3. J Ralph

J Ralph Junior Member

hi yes I am still planning on doing the work.I hope to start in april when our fishing season shuts down for a couple of months.The plan is to haul out april 1 and sand blast the whole hull,and let it dry out for about a month,and then start.When I hauled out this summer I west systemed the rails,foredeck,and the sides in the stern where the dragging doors rest against the hull.I also extended the wheelhouse,added 5new windows,and west systemed the outside wheelhouse cabin.will try to post some before/after pictures of what I have done so far.So...what type of boats and or work do you do in your boatyard in Cumbria?

4. harlow

harlow New Member

Carter Craft Boat?

I have just aquired a 14' plywood type boat.
    The Manufacture name is Carter Craft - Sea Lark from panama city
    It is an outbourd, i believe it is from 57-62 Im not shure. It has a cadillac type fin on the back also.I can not find out any information on this boat. I am considering restoring it. Does anyone have any information about this boat.

5. oldchris

oldchris Chris Mannall

mikeh

Hi Mike, yes the project is going along quite well. When originally acquired I had some concern that the keel proper might have to be cut out and replaced, however after trial boring in three worst spots Im satisfied that the apparent softness is confined to the outer 1/2" or so and can be dealt with by surface cutting back and fitting gravers well bedded and fastened.

Keel bolts will have to be renewed however and that is the next target job.

Have gone well down the road of enquiry and am climbingthe learning curve for replacing the original Vire petrol auxiliary with electric drive coupled to 4x12v 100ah batteries paired in parrllel to give 24 volt then tapped in series to the motor controlls. The whole lot then being trickle charged by a wind turbine. I originally thought solar panels would do the job but am getting strong vibes that low amp inputs are not good for battery life.

Have you or anyone else got any experiance of this.

Although the boat is only 24' oa,with a bowsprit she will reach 27'loa and cutter rigged. Presntly all bdn but am considering gaff with a high peaked setting.

In board despite having batteries for propulsion and nav lights I will use traditional oil lamps and meth stove for the galley.

Quite a bit more to do but nothing daunted! By the way I'm a shipwright by trade with a long time in ship repair management. So this is a retirement project. The boat was completed the year I started my apprenticeship - 1949!!!!! One of your original wood borers.Rgds Chris M

6. jeff goldberg

jeff goldberg Junior Member

Wooden boat repair

I have a 1960 White. This is a lapstrake wooden boat.It leaks like a siv.I have tried cleaning out all the seams below water and filling them with 5200. That worked for a short time.I reliaze this boat is to have some water in it but it has gotten out of control.I want to west system the bottom.It is a twenty foot boat so turning it over is pretty much out of the question.I have seen a couple of boats simular to mine that have been west systemed and it seem to work well for them.I am lookin for suggestions ,opinions and first hand experience.I have used the west system and have full confidence in it.I have done small repairs on the boat with great results.But doing the bottom up to just past the waterline is another thing entirely.One of my greatest concerns is the flexing of the boat. And if if I get a great bond to the wood do you think the west system will flex with the boat and stay laminated or do you think it will just come undone the first time Im in rough seas .I look forward to your input.

Happy wooden boat owner. Jeff Goldberg

7. jeff goldberg

Wooden Lapstrake

I have a 1960 White. This is a lapstrake wooden boat.It leaks like a siv.I have tried cleaning out all the seams below water and filling them with 5200. That worked for a short time.I reliaze this boat is to have some water in it but it has gotten out of control.I want to west system the bottom.It is a twenty foot boat so turning it over is pretty much out of the question.I have seen a couple of boats simular to mine that have been west systemed and it seem to work well for them.I am lookin for suggestions ,opinions and first hand experience.I have used the west system and have full confidence in it.I have done small repairs on the boat with great results.But doing the bottom up to just past the waterline is another thing entirely.One of my greatest concerns is the flexing of the boat. And if if I get a great bond to the wood do you think the west system will flex with the boat and stay laminated or do you think it will just come undone the first time Im in rough seas .I look forward to your input.

Happy wooden boat owner. Jeff Goldberg

8. Baldur

Baldur Junior Member

What!, There are other boats besides WOOD! :eek:
    I refuse to acknowledge that....

9. jeff goldberg

Glassing wooden lapstrake

I was looking for a little more info than that. Here is a follow up from another thread.
    Well I dont know how many guys you had but I think it would take allot of guys to turn over this boat.And to get it done without damaging the boat I just cant imagine.The wood in this boat is in very good condition so I don't beleive that any thing needs to be replaced.The refastening sounds like it may be the answer but that in itself seems like a huge job as the seats and the floor would have to be taken out.I don't have a clue on how to do the refastening.The strakes are held together by a small copper nail that is bent over on the inside.The ribs are attached to the strakes buy screws.Are you suggesting to refasten inbetween the ribs and what about the areas you cant reach due to the stringers.The more i think about this the more I like the idea of west system with glass matting.I really feel that if the boat is prepped right the matting will hold.I have heard your views on the horrors of glassing and having it be a nightmare.The reason I feel so stongly about the glassing is I have done repairs with the west system on this boat and it has held to this day.When I first bought this boat and put it in the water several of the seams where one strake ended and a new one began going from front to back the glue failed and these seams opened resulting in the water tearing several big holes in the bottom.Needless to say we almost sunk.I made repairs and as I said they have held to this day.Yes I am very concerned with the lamination on the hard edge of the strake.Well that was a mouth full.I look forward to your additional input.

10. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Jeff, go to www.woodenboat.com and enter the Forum section. Go to the build & repair section and find the FAQ thread. Read. Think. Then ask questions. There's lots of people there with experience repairing lapstrake boats who are willing to help. Even solutions for rolling 20-foot boats over without damage.

11. JMark

JMark New Member

woodie restoration

Just spent 3 1/2 years restoring a 57' Chriscraft.....what would you like to know?! Presently nearing the end of the journey. Am looking for information concerning Sanitread.
    Mark

12. jeff goldberg

That link didn't bring me to a site where I could find forum information?

13. Seoladair

Seoladair New Member

Jeff the link http://www.woodenboat.com/ will bring you to the magazine's home page, then on the right hand side buttons list, click on WB Online Forum ...then find the build and repair forum and look for the FAQ suggested above....if you wish to.

Cheers

14. wdnboatbuilder

wdnboatbuilder Senior Member

how much hog is designed in the boat another words is the keelson a straight line or does it have a curve to it?

15. chandler

chandler Senior Member

Jeff,
    I think an important part of the task you want to perform is 1. the boat needs to dry out, 2. apply at least 2 coats of epoxy on the inside. If you just epoxy and glass[were you going to glass?]The outside and leave the interior bare or painted you'll be wasting your time and money, especially on a workboat that sees alot of water in the bilges. she'll just rot from the inside out.