Wooden boat recovery/restoration

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by xbonnie, Jul 24, 2006.

1. xbonnie

xbonnie Junior Member

The recovery turned out to be quite the adventure! We were able to get her up with six 1000# lift bags, but she almost got us a couple of times. By the time we got the mud out she floated on her own. The foredeck is pretty rotten, but the engine and the remainder of the wood appear sound. It is mahogany plywood, but appears fairly well preserved by the silt. We're taking a break for the winter and letting her dry out. We hope to know more in the spring. Here's a picture of her at the dock.
    Thanks for all your responses,
    Bonnie

Attached Files:

2. EastGateCustoms

EastGateCustoms New Member

Congratulations Bonnie.
    Looks like a very smooth design.Get a fresh motor in her and enjoy it.
    And by the way. It is funny you mention she floated on her own... I once had a 42' Post that was all wood.
    I was chartering her for a while with everyone questioning why I would use such an old boat, and wood non the less.
    My reply is always simple. After explaining the story that I had to rescue one of the half sunk plastic fantastics one year near our canyons ...
    Hey, wood floats!
    Thank you for your great story.

3. Pete Dennison

Pete Dennison Pete D

Good one ryak!! I thought the Black Caps were a sunken ship too - but big result yesterday!!:)

4. crosbyboat

crosbyboat New Member

Distin Boats

I looked at the photo of the sunk boat. It is definately a Distin made in Saranac Lake, NY for only a couple of years in the late 1940's to 1951, and VERY rare! The steering wheel is a give away. Look at it cafefully. It is a half wheel that looks like an airplane wheel. Distin wheels were all like that! An article on Distin boats is in the October 2007 Adirondack Life Magazine. The author is trying to find one. He knows of only 1, possibly 2, in existence. Please feel free to call me at 518-669-2361 to discuss. This boat is worth trying to save!

Brian Lawson, aka crosbyboat

5. hansp77

hansp77

What great news from crosyboat,
    Good on you Bonnie, for taking the gamble and effort of raising her.

Can't wait for the updates.
    She's a pretty boat.

6. RHP

RHP Senior Member

To state the obvious... (and how we hate the truth...) that is a labour of love. What is her value restored against what she's going to cost to restore the hull, systems and replace the egine? Ouch. If you love her proceed, if you dont.... run, run for the hills. Good luck, whichever way you decide.

7. w4uze

w4uze New Member

Bonnie, that is definitely a Distin. As Brian (Crosbyboat) stated the steering wheel is a dead giveaway, you'll also notice the throttle in the center of the steering wheel.
    Brian, a gentleman emailed me last year because he heard I owned a Distin boat, he was doing research for an article he was writing, maybe the same author of that 2007 Adirondack Life Magazine.
    Mine is in New Hampshire and need of moderate restoration. I have had contact from another Distin boat owner, his Distin is also in New Hampshire and has had a restoration job. I'll try to attach a photograph of his restored boat it's a very nice looking example.

Dan

Attached Files:

8. xbonnie

xbonnie Junior Member

It is definitely a labor of love. We don't expect to sell her, just to have a cool story to tell. We got the top decks torn off and partially replaced this summer. We've decided to paint the sides rather than try to completely restore them. It will allow us to use epoxy to patch her instead of totally replacing the wood. We will replace and varnish the top decks and get everything else as close to original as possible; but we are not trying to make her a show boat. We expect this to take us about 3-4 years. We have a lot to learn and want to take our time. Plus, we are primarily scuba divers - boat restoration just came along as a happy coincidence. Thank you all for your advice!

1 person likes this.
  9. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Good way to approach a restoration. You might change your mind and do more once you get into it ... or not. You've earned the right to do it your way. Congratulations on raising her and what you've done so far. Great story.

10. frmarks22

frmarks22 New Member

In the Oct. 2007 issue of Adirondack Life magazine there was an article about Distin Boats, which were built in the Saranac Lake, NY area, which you might find interesting. I found a bow light casting at the Antique Boat Museum Show in Clayton, NY a couple years ago and bought it. Now I know what boat it came from. It is for sale. I have also noted that Chris Wansley is looking for his grandfather's Distin. You may be able to contact him at: xxxhotster@gmail.com. Also, a gentleman named Daniel Manteuffel in Rochester, New Hampshire owns a Distin that I ran across somewhere on the internet but can't find now.

I hope you can find some interesting facts from these guys!

11. DiverDave

DiverDave New Member

Sunken boat..xbonnie

I just recovered a 1958 chris-craft from 65 feet of cold fresh water.Its in good shape and I plan to restore it. Any advice?Thanx..DiverDave

12. Itchy&Scratchy

Itchy&Scratchy Senior Member

Yup

Put pics up so we can see it.:) :D ;)
    J

13. Itchy&Scratchy

Itchy&Scratchy Senior Member

Well done Bonnie, nice looking boat.

Dont put too much into what some of this lot say, they often look at it from a pure business perspective.
    Simple
    If youve fallen in love with it? do it- take your time over it and enjoy it , even when the going seems tough.

What a lovely story to tell anyone.
    regards
    Justin

14. distin

distin New Member

Distin boat!

Hi BonnieX,

My mom just sent me this link, I know it is a post from a while ago, but I thought I would give it a try! I am one of the few Distin's left and live in Bozeman! Your post said you are in Montana and I am not sure if you are still around or even still have the boat, but I would love to know more about it!

Thanks,
    Katie

15. Humbler

Humbler New Member

Just found this forum. Very impressed by your stamina & passion in retrieving this boat & then wanting to actually restore & use your discovery. Just moved to the Helena, MT area from Minnesota. If you need some help or advise, I'd love to see your project & meet you guys . Contact me at fred.goughnour@frontier.com I have been restoring wood boats for twenty years, have been trying to find other wood boat owners in the area. thanks