Wooden boat construction

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Ari, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

Hallo everybody..:)
    After joining boat design.net than only I knew there is a method of building a boat thats called 'strip plank'.The only method known to me earlier is to utilise broad pieces of plank of about 6 inches for any planking needed.:confused: my question is ::?:
    1. Why strip plank? easier to bend ..lighter..?
    2. How big can be built with strip plank method ?
    3. Why must cover the plank with resin or fibre glass?Wood rot ?The worm ?
    4. Can it be cold molded with resin instead of fibreglassing ?

Actually I'am quite interested in this method of construction. :) There is a type of wood that is very light but not hard, that I would like to utilised. I have a few of that timber tree.

Am waiting for your comments..
    Thank you. :)

2. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

1) It's faster because you don't need to shape the planks or bevel, you can use any wood you like (or have), you get a clean interior, it's light and strong, you get a stable surface and can paint the outside with polyurethane.

2) I know large sailing ships have been built this way.

3) The glass on both sides do the same work as frames would do in a traditional hull. Wood has almost no strength or stiffness across the fibres, so the glass makes the hull into a sandwich composite. Epoxy is used because it is a very strong glue and it keeps the wood dry. Polyester or vinylester can't be used.

4) If you don't want to use glass, you can use two ore more layers of wood diagonally over the strip planking.

One book that describes the different variations is "Gougeon brothers on boat construction".

3. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

Thank you Raggi_Thor.:) First step I will get the book.Read it just now thats I can find it at Amazon.With this kind of construction there is no need to used those expensive tropical rain forest hard wood. What I intend to use is a type of wood called Pulai- Alsthonia Pneumatophora or Jelutong - Dyera Costulata, maybe Durian can be used also.All this wood are not from the jungle.:)

4. Raggi_Thor

Good luck :)
    It's best to use a light (soft) wood for the core strips and then a stronger wood if you want an outer skin to take the stress.

Durian is very good to eat, isn't it?

Western red Cedar is very popular for strip panking in USA, it is very light, only 340kg/m3 or so, and with a modulus of elasticy of approx 7GPa.
    We use Norwegian Pine (or Scots pine, Pinus Sylvestris) or Spruce with a density of 450 to 550 kg/m3 and E=11-13GPa.

5. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

Never know any Norse that can take Durian:?: , I love it..with all those skunk smell..:confused: some do taste like brandy..:) Old durian tree are price at RM100.00 per tree USD1 to 3.7 Ringgit(RM).We consider this tree as rubbish.:rolleyes: Suitable for pallet making only.We have more than 100 trees in our orchard, need to replant them anyway, >70 years old, with diametre of >36 inches and height of bole at 20 to 25 metres.Thank you Raggi _Thor..I know what to do with it now.:D

6. nero

nero Senior Member

Your finished strips for planking need to show VG or quartersawn on the face of the plank. You need to see the growth lines running straight or fairly straight up the plank. In other words no or little grain run out.

You can have the wood quarter sawn to about your final plank thickness if the sawer uses a bandsaw mill ... and doesn't rush. If not you can have thick planks cut and then resaw them working the grain to get a final plank that has the grain oriented correctly.

Make sure the moisture content is low before bonding these strips on to the hull forms. If not it will shrink and contract and well it is better not to know the rest. smile Even a few % points can cause a problem.

Strip planking is not quick! Or at least not when doing it solo on a 14 meter hull. The results are beautiful. McNaughton's strip planking scantlings are inexpensive and helpful.

There is a fair bit of sanding to round over the planks to make the hull fair. An air powered disc sander works the best for me.

Why Strip Plank? It is a lower cost way to have a smooth round, curving hull. Thus avoiding hardchine hulls. It is a strong hull.

7. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

Thank you Nero, I do really want to built a yacht:) . Hopefully those experiences gained during my apprenticeship as a carpenter will help (help to built a few timber/ wooden house..but that is 20 years ago:confused: ). I intended to use chain saw to cut those wood into sawn lumber of 10 in X 10 in X 10 feet or 6 in x 6 in X 10 feet. A friend of mine (may he rest in peace)had given me a small furniture workshop :) that have table plane, table polisher,circular saw, work bench, drils,etc. Only need some servicing.
    All this woods will take at least 6 months to air dry properly. About time to built the shed.:) Anybody out there who give class or apprenticeship on wooden boat buiding and cold moulding :?: :)

8. Raggi_Thor

Come to Norway, we have work for you :)

Just come to think of it: If you buy the Gougeon brothers' book, there is a new edition now, fifth edition has more on strip planking than the previous.

9. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

Hm..maybe should send my son or daughter there..:) O.K am going to discuss with them actually on what is the plan for their future..it is tonight anyway. He intended to apply for a place to pursue his study at ALAM (Malaysia Maritime Academy)she wanted to enroll to the only collage that have marine design school and they don't accept female student:mad: ..I'am checking a boat building school that have some relationship with McNaughton - that place is in Maine USA, or send them to Raggi Thor..:confused: Hopefully by the time they graduated..all the woods are ready..and I can go sailing and circumnavigating peacefully..:) :D

10. nero

nero Senior Member

If you square the logs. you will loose some lumber. If you can rip it down the axis of the log and then half the two pieces again, you will see the grain. Then you can start slicing off the edges into lumber. Doing it this way you can read the grain so as to end up with the VG you need. This will give you thinner lumber that will dry faster.

Cutting lumber with a chainsaw will waste a big amount of the log and it is slow. Those big squares will take a long time to dry and may crack during the drying time.

Looking for volunteers to help strip plank my hulls. Starting in June will work thru August. Unfortunently, there is not much else to do around here and the corn pollen can cause allergies for some. smile

11. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

Thank you nero, actually I'am on the looks for used portable bandsaw,maybe got to set up a small mill:) there used to be quite a lot of this type of factory in our state a few years ago, they will travel to one old rubber estate..set up there for a few years until all the logged rubber tree are done,packed again and move to some where else.I heard some of them are up for sale..hunting for it now..All the saw mills in my state are so busy..only three mills..they won't entertain my personal request to mill my log..they want to buy the log..the price is not right..:) I'am not selling.Got to check my schedule for June July August.:)

12. nero

nero Senior Member

Bandsaw mills are overpriced here. Hard to find used ones correctly priced also. Good luck on your quest.

13. wdnboatbuilder

wdnboatbuilder Senior Member

Ari , I am a graduate from that school and I learned quite a bit. I would recomend it to any one looking to learn.

14. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

Wdnboat builder, I had send an e-mail to them via their website and now still waiting for their reply. Two of my children had applied for a place in one of our local university, posted it last Saturday, now we are waiting for the reply.If they manage to secure a place in Malaysia the cost will not be that enormous for me, they can apply for a scholarship or loan to pay through their study but that Diploma in ship/boat construction and repair work will need 3 years to complete, if that school in Maine replied later with a study cost that affordable to me, I would like to send another of my daughter there.Thank you for your recomendation of that school.I have to work to sustain my family expenditure..if not..I just love to study boat construction in that school in Maine..! Do they have out campus or via internet study ? Love to do that..!

15. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.