computer boat design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by stan r, Nov 15, 2007.

1. stan r

stan r New Member

Can anyone give me some assistance in finding a computer program for very elementry beginner hull design for power boats. No sail hulls. deep Vs that maybe flatten out at the transom. Say hulls from 20' to 36'. I can find myself
    around on the computer for info, etc. so I really need something quite simple.
    I do great with pencil and paper but that is it. Thanks much, Stan

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi Stan,
    Freeship / Delftship is by a long shot the most-recommended free/cheap hull design software to be found around here. Use the forum's Search button and you'll find dozens of threads on how to make it do what you want.

There is an important distinction to be made here between a few common groups of "designers":

(1) "I want to get a computer program that will help me design boats", without any of the books, training or tedious math that makes sure those boats will actually work. We get a lot of these on here and it rarely goes anywhere.

(2) "I want to learn how to design and engineer a boat, developing the necessary skills along the way as I work towards doing designs of my own I can build." (I'm in this group, as are quite a number of us on here.) If messing about in boats catches your fancy, but nothing on the market seems to suit you, think about putting yourself in this group.

(3) "I became a professional, or am in the process of becoming one, through detailed study, working with professionals, courses, experience, and constant ongoing education." We have a somewhat smaller number of these on here, and their advice is generally excellent. But to get to this level takes time and dedication, and to get help from people at this level requires that you give a strong indication that you're doing everything you can to learn on your own (or else, you can always just pay them to do it for you).

3. stan r

stan r New Member

hull design

Matt thank you for your imput. I am a closet architect and engineer having 40 years in the construction business. building out of all materials up to 3 stories. My architect (25 year friend) and I started thinking alike. I would sketch what I thought was good and he made it good! I have built a few boats but My architect knows nothing about boats. I plan on using a program for enjoyment only. I like boats and will start on a new one soon ( with plans ) Thanks much for the info and suggestions. I live on the centreal Oregon coast and my soon to start boat will be 30' x 10'-4" out of wood and will be in these nothern pacific waters. thanks again, stan

4. nero

nero Senior Member

TouchCAD

If you have a small budget, then you might want to check out TouchCad.

http://www.touchcad.com/tc3download.html

There are tutorials and other movies on this link to show how simple it is to produce fair hulls that float the way you had in mind. The unfolding in TouchCad will give you the flat pannel shapes for pannel construction.

If your architect friend is using VectorWorks, then know that TouchCad and Vectorworks work hand in hand.

It allowed me to design, make the plans, and build my 14.5 meter catamaran. .... well I am still building it.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20209

5. stan r

stan r New Member

boat design programs

Thanks fot the information Nero and good luck on getting your catamaran
    finished up. Stan

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.