Wood Vs. Metal for Passagemaker

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by pha7env, Apr 7, 2012.

1. pha7env

pha7env Junior Member

Sorry, for some reason i've not been getting emails on new posts this week. The question was to get opinions on either. We have neither yet. I, personally, i more comfortable with steel, but can work with anything. The question was to help me from those who have done refits on each and weigh the difference. I did not know that wood boats were not allowed in certain countries. That will surely matter in a few years, but it will be at least 5 years, maybe longer before we would strike off any further than the Great Loop and the Gulf Islands. Maybe Panama to the West Coast.

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Ah yes, I understand. Its wise to think about the maintenance angle before you build.

I love working in wood, but the increasing scarcity in some parts of the world, variable quality in materials and joining methods, would push me towards glass or steel.

Given that some of the nicest parts of the world have hardly any FG technology, I think steel would end up being the 'world travellers' best bet, - rust nothwithstanding.

You can make instant, extremely strong repairs (welds cool in 10 minutes as apposed to days of FG curing) that you know will stand the next storm.

3. pha7env

pha7env Junior Member

Mr. Watson, you and i are thinking alike! rust is surely invasive, but have been welding for 35 years and have bet my life on my welds numerous times. My wood working skills are growing, but i still am only a fancy barnbuilder, not a joiner. And my fiberglass skills are limited to repair and gelcoating older ski boats. I would hate to know i had to rely on my FG skills to get me there or, even more important, home!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.