Wood versus composite water speed record boats

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by FranklinRatliff, Nov 15, 2012.

1. FranklinRatliff

FranklinRatliff Previous Member

Attached Files:

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Given the better impact cycle strength of wood, I think I would be using it too.

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

just saying Wood really is a little meaningless ! ok it is wood BUT not just your everyday run of the mill or out of the rack from you local shop on the corner!
    Composits the same it is not the same as whats used in the family runabout .
    the way each one is built and put together also plays a really important role in all this as well glues and resins paints fasteners and everything .

I completely agree plywood takes a lot of beating !! The races boats we used plywood that came from Israel of all places !! the wood was light weight ,really good quality , the 4 veneers ran 0/60/60/0 so would bend across the sheet but length wise was really stuff for just 6 mm ply .If you tapped it with a hammer it made a ringing sound ! :):rolleyes:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.