Bulkead Material?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by JamesR, Oct 6, 2004.

1. JamesR

JamesR Guest

My plans call for bulkead to be made of "plywod". Does not say marine grade ply. I wonder if this is just a given and not specifically spelled out on the plans or if regular ply is in fact commonly used on bulkheads?? What do others mostly use?

Thanks
    James

2. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

As far as I know, Marine grade stands for the water resistance of the wood and glue. As bulkheads are normally not submerged a lesser grade wouldn't hurt. Mind you, the ply still has to be treated as a boat is always damp! Give it a coat of epoxy and your fine.

Forum members PAR an Ilan Voyager have been giving very detailed info on other threads. Send them an email, as I am not a active builder! You can find them under the members list button.

Good luck

Last edited: Oct 6, 2004
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.