curious

Discussion in 'Materials' started by sailnhawaii, Sep 16, 2004.

1. sailnhawaii

sailnhawaii New Member

I'm just wondering if anyone with experience has removed the wood walls on a sailboat, and replaced with contempory interior(white)?

2. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

You mean from the interior (cupboards etc.) or do you mean the bulkheads?!

What is that?

3. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Ive replaced white pannelling with wooden boarding and done the reverse.

I find a white panel interior with wood trim much nicer than a total wood interior. The boat gets too dark inside otherwise unless you have a very light coloured timber and no dark stain.

Removing dark wood and replacing with white panels made the interior seem much larger airier and cleaner.

If you have a classic boat you should keep the classic interior for aesthetics and value.

4. sailnhawaii

sailnhawaii New Member

I'm sorry for not being specific. I mean when the interior of a boat is wood walls, like teak. I don't like the look. I'd much perfer the newer look of white fiberglass/composit. Can all the wood on the walls be removed and replaced?

5. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

These "wood walls" are called bulkheads. Apart from dividing the interior most of them also add strength to the structure of the boat.

Many bulkheads are made of plywood, and they can replaced, but it's not an easy job to do. Some bulkheads are made of (ply)wood on both sides of a core, that may be of foam or honeycomb. You can not remove this (ply)wood and replace it with fiberglass or anything else. You have to remove the whole thing. And in both cases you will probably have to remove most or all of the interior, too.

If you like your bulkheads white (I do, too!), paint them! This is much, much easier and much, much cheaper. If you absolutely want to replace them, be sure that the new bulkheads are just as strong and stiff as the old ones (consult with a naval architect or a yacht designer) and have the job done by a professional boatbuilder.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A high pressure laminate could be used as well, like Formica or similar product. You could also bleach the wood to a much lighter color, still see the grain, but having the light interior you desire.

7. raymond

raymond Junior Member

I think so . it is much easier. What types of paint are suitable? Any advice.

8. raymond

raymond Junior Member

Sorenfdk, do you know what type of paint can do the job? any brand? and where can I find them? Please give me some advice.

9. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

Well, it's hard to tell what's available in USA, when you're sitting here in Denmark, so I can't really help you.
    The best advice I can give is to ask a local boatbuilder.

10. asathor

asathor Senior Member

Pro paint shop

You better find a pro paintshop or better yet a furniture refinishing expert. You will be painting wood that undoubtedly has been oiled several times and maybe stained as well. Some paints may not harden properly on that kind of surface. Latex is out of the question whatever they tell you.

Definitely test on some hidden surface and expect to use several diluted coats to cover properly.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.