Keel Time ;)

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by AleX`G, Mar 27, 2007.

1. AleX`G

AleX`G Junior Member

Hey guys
    As some of you may know i have been making a model rc boat at school during my lunch break. We are almost at a stage where the hull is finished. I want to decide on a keel that i can use and make which will suit the yacht best.
    The main problem is the limited depth of keel to just 30cm from the deck. This is on a 2kg boat with 70cm length and 2000cm^2 of sail.
    The freeboard of the boat is about 6cm so this leaves 20-24cm for me to play with for the keel.
    The balast can be upto 55% of the total weight so thats 1.1kg

What kind of keel would you guys recomend. A normal single fin or something more elaborate I like the sound of the V keel but unsure how easy it would be to manufacture on a scale this small.

Is it possible to buy wing shaped tubing that i could bend to shape perhaps?

Alex

2. RichR

RichR Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.