Wood Mast for 12m Classic Day Sailor

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by ivansalasj, Mar 27, 2007.

1. ivansalasj

ivansalasj Junior Member

Hello,

I am currently designing a classic day sailor to sail in max. a force 3/4, Loa = 12 m, Bwl = 2 m, Draught = 1.6 m, Displacement = 5 tons and a sail area = 45 - 50 m^2 for jib and main. I am now looking at the rigging design and I have decided to start with the mast. Initial calculations tell me to aim for a mast diameter of approx. 140 mm, but this is not for a hollow mast. I was told to go for a pear shape hollow mast, does anybody have any suggestions. Also if anybody has a good book or references that can help me to carry out calculations to size the rigging I would be glad to go through them, since I am now using basic engineering to do so. What is a reasoble height of mast for such a vessel and at what distance is common practice to taper the mast? Many queries I know!

Cheers

Ivan

2. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

If you want classic solutions to classic boat problems, then it's always best to consult classic books!

Skene's will certainly give you a reliable method for specking an oval, hollow, spruce mast, boom, spinnaker pole, and spreaders for this sort of application.