Epoxy removal

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by grady, Jul 24, 2014.

1. grady

grady Novice

I know ...this goes against all that is good with epoxy.

But I have some small very thin expoxy stains on my deck that a driving me nuts.

And before I do something to make matters worse, I thought I would ask.

Short story.....Doing some small epoxy repairs in a well protected area when the wind picked up an blew a couple of small drops of epoxy on a un protected spot. I thought I had wiped them quite well with acetone but a couple of days later....there they are small yellow smears.

Anyone know of a way to clean these spots up without causing more harm?

thank you.

2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

I expect that the acetone thinned the epoxy and allowed it to further penetrate the wood surface. I doubt that you will get it out short of sanding the wood to below the depth of penetration. Heat might soften it but I don't see a way of wicking it out of the wood. An even scraping of the affected area and blending into a larger surrounding area should spread out the amount of wood removed over a larger area and so make it less obvious but you'll have to get down to the untouched wood in order to get rid of it completely.

3. grady

grady Novice

I'm sorry....Just to be clear This is a fiberglass deck I'm refering to.

My Bad.

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Any FG or Gelcoat can be lightly wet and dry sanded to get rid of tough stuff.

Doing it without making a discoloration is going to be hard.

5. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Wet and dry sand, polish with compound.
    Its going to change the color locally, so to get it even you have to compound the whole area.

You can apply some heat and try to scrape with a new exacto blade (something really sharp) to minimize what you scrape off, but you will probably still see a change in color.

6. grady

grady Novice

Hey guys thanks for the imput, just to make this more interesting. It's a non slip diamond pattern deck.

I'm going to try some heat and light scraping. Might just have to cover the deck in teak......That will fix her up...Hahaha.

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

What's the texture made from? Heat should soften the goo enough to scrape it off, but it does depend on what it's on.

8. grady

grady Novice

Just gelcoat

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Use a heat gun on the low setting and keep it moving. Around 150 degrees the epoxy will soften considerably and you can push it around with a sharpened wooden stick or putty knife. It'll take a few attempts to get the bulk of a significant spill, which can then be polished smooth.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.