Wood alternatives

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Proa42, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Oyster

Oyster Senior Member

Thats unusual from what I know of. From what it sounds with the small knots or we call what I think you are describing as pin knots is very common to the boat grade White Cedar too.

2. Proa42

Proa42 Junior Member

Oyster, where is this lumber yard? I need deck material too.

By the way all, I'm not in NC now. I'm in Minnesota. Hard to believe, but we have lots of growing White Oak, but rare sawn. I have 3 large WO in my yard, just no way to cut'm into boat lumber before the snow flies.

3. Col Sto

Col Sto New Member

I know this tread is super old, but for anyone like me that's looking for alternatives for African Oak in Australia and you want to do your own research I found comparing the qualities (hardness, weight ect) on Spotted Gum | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Hardwood) https://www.wood-database.com/spotted-gum/ with Oak is helpful. I was thinking about using spotted gum instead of African Oak for the structural elements of the Ski King I'm building but I've realised its just too heavy and hard. Meranti is lighter but most of the other properties are similar.