Wondering if BM KP22 Urethane Alkyd Enamel is suitable for small wooden boat coated with epoxy

Discussion in 'Materials' started by minno, Dec 10, 2019.

1. minno

minno Junior Member

Hi All

Short story:
    Just wondering if Benjamin Moore's KP22 Super Spec paint (Urethane Alkyd Enamel) is suitable for use on a small wooden boat coated with epoxy.

Long story
    Picked up a bucket of paint at B.M. for an epoxy coated plywood boat, when I got home and rounded up a magnifier so I could read the label it said "For metal substrates only", so I checked the website and it too says "For metal substrates only"
    So I called the clerk at B.M. who told me that it's a trick they use so they can still sell alkyd urethane paint and that it would be fine on my boat.

Considering that Sherwin Williams won't sell me any alkyd based paints at all unless I'm a professional painter because I might dispose of any unused paint improperly I'm only slightly skeptical but I figured I had better ask here before I start painting.

minno

2. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Minno

In my years as an industrial painter, I have seen many such tricks to bypass regulations.

That paint could be used with some limitations.

NO constant immersion!! Top side or interior or dinghy is good to go.

3. minno

minno Junior Member

Thanks Blueknar

I'll go ahead and put it on.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.