Resedential solar cells for marine use

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by iWill, Sep 22, 2009.

1. iWill

iWill Junior Member

Hi, I'm helping a friend work on the boat he's fixing up to be a cruiser. He has quite a few solar cells he bought for residential use but now wants to put them on the boat as a source of power. He was wondering if there are any modifications that would be needed in order to be used in a marine application. He mentioned sealing up the electronics but he is wondering how the rest would hold up to saltwater and other marine stresses. They have an aluminum frame and doesn't know if that would hold up.

Thanks for any help.

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi Will,

I have yet to find any observable difference between a "marine" and a "residential" version of the same solar panel. What really matters, as far as the cells are concerned, is how well they are encapsulated- ie, does the lamination and glass housing adequately protect them from the weather.

There should be no exposed electronic components in either application. Things like bypass diodes, etc. that must be connected directly to the cell string are usually encapsulated along with it, or sealed in the edge of the module. Any other components- MPPTs, charge controllers, inverters, etc.- need to be down below in the dry.

I might add that if he's in Ontario, I hope he has plenty of panels left to set up on his house, because as soon as the OPA gets their act together, small solar operators will be able to sell their electricity back to the grid for a small fortune....