Basic vac bagging small deck????

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by 360weatherbound, Mar 28, 2010.

1. 360weatherbound

360weatherbound Junior Member

I would like to experiment with vac bagging on a small canoe deck.
    With the deck on the mold(which is on saw horses) I plan to lay the cloth and resin, cover with aluminum foil (well perforated), place thin layers of insulation over that, wrap the whole mold in plastic caulking and folding the ends, and duct taping a shop vac hose to it.
    Will this work, or is it a waste of time?
    It will be over foam board, I was also wonder if it was feasable to cloth both sides of the deck, wrap in the foil, insulation, and plastic, put that over the frame, vac bag it all at once. I would use straps to keep the foam to the mold.
    Thanks

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Why not just build a wooden deck which might well be lighter, stronger, quicker, better looking, less costly, far less complicated, etc..

The shop vac will provide enough negative pressure but it will need to run continuously for a long period of time. Shop vacs do not like long runs and they develope serious heat. So if you use that method, be prepared to monitor the operation during the whole time the vac is running. Another possible source of vacuum is by using an air compressor. Use the inlet side of the compressor rather than the outlet. I have heard of this being done. Surely the best plan is to use a purpose built vacuum pump such as the ones made by firms like Gast.

3. 360weatherbound

360weatherbound Junior Member

I wanted to work with foam. It is easier, shapes better, and what I used is cheaper than wood. Any wood other than 1/4 marine ply is special order for me. What I used is construction foam, a grade better than the Depot stuff. It was $30 for a 2x8x2" piece I ripped down.
    I plan to put two layer of glass on top and one underneath. I wanted to vac bag to be free of air bubbles and have a smooth surface. I found another way I am assured will give me the same results, using 3m masking film over the top. I am doing this in a little while, hope it works.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.