winterizing?? (1976 Evinrude 50 horse motor)

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Clayton Bishop, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Clayton Bishop

Clayton Bishop Junior Member

Well now that it is getting colder I need to winterize my 1976 Evinrude 50 horse motor. I was going to run stabalized fuel through it for a little while then shut it off and let it sit for the winter. is this enough or is there more that I shoudl be doing? Thank you!

2. jonr

jonr Senior Member

I like to run the gas out and spray in fogging oil before and while it dies. If possible, store it inside where the humidity will be low.

3. Jimboat

Jimboat Senior Member

Sounds good. Running stabilized fuel through is good idea. Best to use Premium fuel, as most of these don't include ethanol, which can hurt your 1976 fuel lines. Also good to spray fogging mixture into carb's while running the stabilized fuel through. Then spray fogging mixture into each cylinder through spark plug holes.

these are the most important activities if you're storing inside (warm). If storing outside (cold) then you might also want to check lower unit for any moisture in oil, as this could cause problems through the winter.

Check out a full article on Winterizing Your Outboard .

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

In the USA ethanol is not dependent on whether the gas is premium or regular, but on the county you live in. If the county falls within the high pollution standard, it is required to sell gasohol (10% ethanol) Outboards are supposed to self drain, but running some pink antifreeze won't hurt. It only takes about half a gallon. Menards sells it for $2.65 a gallon.

5. Jimboat

Jimboat Senior Member

yes, ethonal-free gas is getting harder to get. still better though, so worth obtaining. you can often find where to get it by looking around. check out this website with ethanol free premium fuel in each state. there are other references available. Re: RV antifreeze - i wouldn't put in my outboard fuel train.

Amsoil has a good fuel treatment that addresses ethanol issues.

6. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Best is to loosen all fuel lines and ensure that they are clean and dry.
    Last winter I made the mistake of thinking that I had run my motor empty but there was still a little fuel left behind in the lines. When summer came I refilled the tanks with clean fresh fuel, and tried to start with no success. It is only when I disconnected the fuel lines in the engine that I realised that I had unknowingly pumped that tiny bit of rotten fuel into my engine. Cleaned the whole lot out and everything is perfect now.
    Our fuel turns a dark pee-yellow/green and it stinks - you cant miss it.

7. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The easy way to get ethanol free fuel is a visit to your local small airport.

Their "100 LL" is 100 octane and contains no ethanol.

A gallon will cost an extra buck but its worth it to not kill all the rubber in the fuel lines , pump and carbs.

Fuel preserver will help to not have the fuel become varnish in any item you can not drain, and blow clear..

Definiatly spray with preserving oil as the bearings and reed valves inside the crank case will enjoy the preservation. A shot directly into each cylinder last is also good policy.

I prefer to run the last few min in a pail of 50/50 Auto antifreez (like Prestone). This leaves a great slime on all interior surfaces of the cooling system.

The Mfg probably will prefer you remove the water pump element during the storage time/ , some folks do, some don't.

It is best practice.

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Running Prestone in your outboard should never be done. It is illegal under State and Federal Law to dump it into the water. When you first start the engine, it will go into the water killing fish and other life. The RV pink stuff in non-toxic and will protect the engine while being reasonably safe for the environment.

9. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The RV pink stuff in non-toxic and will protect the engine while being reasonably safe for the environment.

The RV pink stuff only works IF you can figure out how to keep the engine full of the pink stuff.

The green slyme left by Prestone and similar will save your engine from corrosion.

When an engine is run to winterize in a bucket , damn little does not drain back into the pail , so the environment wont collapse.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.