DIY steering system help ( rack vs. rotary )

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by allenx1966, Jul 2, 2008.

1. allenx1966

allenx1966 New Member

i have an old 16ft 1978 arrowglass tri hull i been working on. i have got it in pretty decent shape and now i want to replace the old steering system. looking under the dash, i see it appears to have what i think is a "rack" type system. i been looking at teleflex rack system TEL-SS14110 , and after measuring i determined i need a 14 ft cable. teleflex also offers a SS137 Rotary Boat Steering System. can anyone tell me which system is best? i see the rack is 4 turns lock to lock, and rotary is 3 turns lock to lock. i am assuming that means as far as the steering wheel can turn from one side to the other. i would like to have the 3 turns, but not at the expense of making it harder to turn. right now it turns very stiff. i even followed a DIY site on how to lube it, and still doesnt help, its just and old system, and cable casing cracked and possible not even the right size. i unhooked the cable to see if the motor turn ok by hand, and it turned real easy (1978 85 hp evinrude, no power trim). so im sure investing in a new system would be worth it. so can yall help a brother out? any advice would be appreciated. " rotary or rack system" "installation tips & tricks"
    thanks, allen

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Allenx1966,

The rack type systems have less feedback from the motor as the gear ratio as you say is 4:1
    I would go the 4:1 if you feel that the steering has been too hard in the past, but the 3: 1 is more direct at the wheel.

the 85 could use either...not all that much difference in price for the kits.

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi allenx,

I find it hard to dispute Landlubber's summary of your options. Either system would be superior to what you currently have, especially since your description suggests that most of the steering stiffness is in the linkage itself and not in the motor. With a good steering linkage, the main factors that would make the steering hard or stiff on an 85 hp would be improper trim or improper setting of the torque tab (that little fin hanging behind the propeller), both of which are easy to correct.