Propulsion question please help

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by justinDesign, Oct 26, 2006.

1. justinDesign

justinDesign Junior Member

I am curious as to if anyone has ever used a Voith Schneider propeller in a small application, like on a small less than 16ft. inland fishing boat, and if it is possible to do so. I am trying to figure out a way to power a small boat in very shallow water without having motor drag. Please offer suggestions, pictures or websites. I would prefer electrical propulsion. Thanks.

2. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

If you're going to move something in a fluid you will have drag. I believe Voith-Schnieder propellers have been built for model boats, but they are considerably more complex than a standard shaft drive. By comparison, even a contra-rotating Z drive looks simple.

My advice would be to use an electric outboard. It is a simple, self-contained unit. If you feel like stepping up the tech another notch, something like an electric version of Volvo's IPS might work. It depends wha you're after.

Tim B.

3. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

The Voith-Schnieder is definitely not the right drive for either shallow water or a small boat. Complex, expensive and you would not want to deal with running aground, even just a little bit.

A tunnel drive may be your best bet. Flats boats use tunnels and a jack plate for very shallow water. Robb White's inboard tunnel drive skiff "Rescue Minor" is said to run in 6" of water.

http://www.robbwhite.com/rescue.minor.html

A jet is also an option. You can get jet drives on outboards too.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.