Wingboat Design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by MasterBlaster, May 25, 2003.

1. Dim

Dim Senior Member

2. TimB

TimB Guest

I hate to dissapoint you, Dim, but I was interested in the origenal report by Wieselsberger. I beleive that the link you posted is to a report that references Wieselsberger's work. see page 5 (right hand column. Having said that, I am sure that the research is perfectly valid, and it is certainly about the subject in question. It is in fact a very good report. Just not written by Wieselsberger.

It's great to have your input,

Cheers,

Tim B.

3. Dim

Dim Senior Member

Dear Tim B,

I therefore also have written, that **about** first of three, **instead of first**.
    I have decided to answer because this library for me in favorites.
    I to her sometimes use. Has decided to enter in search of a title of the books, which you interest.
    Nothing has found. Has entered them in Google. Also has found that has found. About second and third has found **only
    the reference** to the pointer of the bibliography on one Japanese site.

Dim.

4. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

I have just recieved an e-mail from the NASA STI Help Desk. It appears that all three reports are available... as long as we're willing to pay $29 for Wieselsberger's paper, and $55 each for Tonnies' and Pistolesi's papers. Plus $7 shipping and handling per paper. Anyone got any cash?

Tim B.

5. Dim

Dim Senior Member

Surfaces effect in our life.

I want to apologize before Yipster, because I has not noted, that he already has given the necessary reference.

Dim.

6. yipster

yipster designer

no apology's Dim, just enjoy! guess you refer to the hydrofoils tread or similar info here on the forum before. i was checking my low cash than started thinking those 1922 / 1937 papers must be collector itom antiques :?: probably make very good reading still :D yipster

7. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

The four papers mentioned on page 1 of this forum do make quite good reading, and although they cover 20 years of research, they all indicate the same trends in Cl, Cm, Cd and L/D. I am still trying to aquire the last three reports. I suspect that Wieselsberger's and Pistolesi's work would be most interesting.

8. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster Junior Member

Sorry that I am talking so long, but I should have a good block of time the next few days to get some design work done. Here is some line-work from Rhino. It is a general modeler, and I should be modelling soon

Attached Files:

9. yipster

yipster designer

MasterBlaster
    no exuses, take / talk as long as you want, i like this lay out even over the first drawing. just realise that this one, aint the "done in a jiffy" project, if such exist at all?

Tim B
    spend my money on the polyshop. nice thing with those dated papers often is they are very well to read. "all indicate the same trends in Cl, Cm, Cd and L/D" does make me like to learn more!

10. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

Lippisch told me he liked the way the X112 flew better than some of the later designs (http://www.msacomputer.com/FlyingBoats-old/WIG/lippisch_x-112_ramwing.jpg). So I'd start with the proportions of that craft, since what you're talking about is basically a WIG with water propulsion.

I think you're going to want a lot more horizontal tail surface. Wings in ground effect experience unstable pitch-heave coupling, and a sizeable T tail is needed.

11. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

In saying 'look at these papers' I am coming at the problem from a largely aerodynamic perspective and assuming quite a lot of prior knowledge about wings/aerofoils. If anybody needs any definitions, just ask and I'll post a list.

Cheers,

Tim B.

12. Dim

Dim Senior Member

Many new this well forgotten old.

Hi,

Can be to you will interestingly see at one really constructed and tested device.
    If it will be interesting and further (after review) I shall place in gallery of ten of pictures.
    Idea, design and testing - Alekseev (Russia).

Dim.:)

Attached Files:

13. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Sorry I've not posted much recently...

Yes, One of the big russian wingboats. Effectively a flying boat, rather than the 'cushioned' monohull, but it proves two things. Firstly, one can use aerodynamic effects to lift however many tons of boat out of the water, and secondly, it can be done on a large scale. Just look at those windows!!!

I'll draw something up soon and post it.

Cheers,

Tim B.

14. Dim

Dim Senior Member

fly under water

It will be see very interesting for me, TimB.
    I shall waiting.

Dim.

15. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Yeah, me too at the moment! I have no idea what this will look like!! I'll tell you when I've drawn it.

Cheers,

Tim B.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.