Windsurf Board Prototypes

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Tiago Monteiro, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Tiago Monteiro

Tiago Monteiro Designer, builder

Hi folks,

First of all I would like to congratulate those who ever got this ideia of a site focused on boat building and to those who without their knowledge and the will to share it would make this site really poorer. Thank you all.

It's my first post here.
    I'm a portuguese windsurfer for about some years. I compete in some windsurf classes but mainly in Formula Windsurfing.
    I'm also a graduate in Industrial Design since 2004. (I'm 27 by the way...)
    As you see it warming up, it would not be surprisable if I ever got the idea of applying the Design knowledge to windsurf board design.
    I'm not talking about just doing some graphical work. Im talking about building the whole thing.

So, I have some great ideas and studies done and I fond some sites allready on how to make windsurf boards, fins and so on.

Here are a few:

www.geocities.com/.../buildboard/inserts.html

www.sailboardsmaui.com/factory.html

www.hollowsurfboards.com/fins.htm

The thing that brought me here is: does anyone have any suggestions to make to me, precautions, advices and if anyone does, can you share some other web sites that you've fond that can help me on this project?
    It can be about fins, foam, resin, fibers, tools to build it, hot wire cutter, masks, studio lighting, etc...

I'm known for being either a dreamer or a visionary.
    My goal has always been to design inovative original artefacts that chalenge present artifacts that present companies do not afford to do or do not have time and/nor designers with the vision and passion to do them. Either usefull artifacts, decorative, tools, toys, recreational purpose items, graphics or transportation vehicles, I have the always sticked to these mine ideals.

I hope that someone replys to this post and do come with some great sites to help me with. I'm sure that many will!
    Thanks very much in advance for your attention.
    Cheers,

Tiago

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

reference

Tiago, here is a site from a guy that has done a lot of research on windsurf board fin design:
    Speedsailing Design
    Address:http://speedsailingdesign.blogspot.com/ Changed:5:19 AM on Saturday, February 3, 2007
    -----

A fellow countryman of yours- Tinho Dornellas- runs a windsurfing school and prototype testing facility very near me on Merritt Island ,FL; his website is www.calema.com ; you might get some good advice from him.
    Good luck with your project!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.