CG in Rhino marine

Discussion in 'Software' started by ct marine nz, Feb 7, 2007.

1. ct marine nz

ct marine nz Junior Member

when working with r/marine I am trying to work out the CG and for the life of me cant figure it out .
    Do i have to model every single part and assign it in the weight editor -surely not ?
    When I tabulate the data it also gives me an LCB/LWL and also LCB whats the difference ?
    Any help would be appreciated

2. terhohalme

terhohalme BEng Boat Technology

Nobody promised you that finding a CG was easy :)

If your surfaces of the model are similar at their weight, you can ask Rhino: analyze, mass properties, area centroid.

LCB/LWL is proportional from section 0, LCB is in construction plane.

Obviously, you don't have any problem with English, so please read the RhinoMarine help file carefully! It's all there.

3. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

I also think you can add the weight of all the items you want in atable with cg for each item. Then Rhinomarine will calculate the combined cg of all items and all surfaces (if they have a weight/m2).
    You can also let Rhinomarine change the trim of you boat so that cb matches cg.

4. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

ct marine,
    If you were doing things the old-fashioned way, you would have to assign each part a weight and add up their moments, then do all the math, etc., to find the total centre. Why should things be different with the computer? It at least helps with the math.....
    Steve

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.