Window feasibility question

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Wavewacker, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

If it's 50 x 40 x 1.5 inches each, that is 3000 cubic inches, roughly 50 litres. Glass has SG of around 2.5, so you have a lot more than 55 pounds per window.

2. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

I have no idea, I just carried them, about 55-60 pounds was an estimate, if t's critical I could weigh them. They are not just solid glass, there is several layers of film and glass for their ballistic qualities against small arms fire. They came out of a bank teller's drive-up window. A friend owns a commercial glass company and he told me they cannot be cut due to their nature. :)

Edited: Didn't want to bump this, but I'm attempting to find the weight of a build. I will weigh the windows. And, due to weight and material size I want it seems to me I need to move back up to the 20/24 foot length, 4' beam out to 5' at the gunnels.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.