window bedding/ sealing.

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Frosty, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I have 4 large windows across the front of the boat. They bond straight into the hull. I saw them do it at the factory. They etched a 2 inch bead arround the glass and bedded it into the hull so it was flush with the hull.

They used rubber window suckers to pull them down maybe an inch or more, I was concerned but after 4 days they released them and they are fine , that was 5 years ago.

Today the windows do not leak but the 1/2 inch beed between the window and the hull is cracked The 2 inch bead that you can see througfh the glass seams fine.

I was thinking that if I cut out the outer beading and re caulked it with black Sikaflex It would be ok again

Any thoughts,--maybe not sikaflex.

The windows are tinted and get very hot. Normally they are covered by a window cover that goes all the way round the front.

2. masalai

masalai masalai

Man are you desperate for posts - - - or - - - loosing it worse than I? - I think your best option would be to contact the manufacturer.... first, - - then publish their response for additional feedback - - if in doubt.... Possibly affixed the same way car windscreens are attached to modern cars?

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Contact the manufacturers? Seawind Australia? I might be better off contacting Father christmas.

You missed the point I dont want to take them out, They probably wouldnt come out, not without a fight.

I want to repair the caulking around the window.

Sikaflex? 5200? what?

4. masalai

masalai masalai

That is what I meant as an old friendly hippy/geriatric/lost soul/keen supporter of the marquee etc.... seeking a bit of technical support not a rabid yank seeking litigation excuses... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If they are the typical plastics used in boat windows, the best thing (unfortunately) is silicone. The polyurethanes (3M 5200 included) and polysulfide don't like to stick to these plastics.

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Hi Par nope its toughened glass,--they all are. Basically I just need to cut out the fillet where it is cracked and renew it, Theres nothing wrong in doing that is there?

I have to say that I am surprised --no shocked that you should suggest silicone!! this must be different silicone to what I have been familiar with.

Attached Files:

7. PAR

I have to admit it was very difficult to make that admission Frosty. It's about the only application I can see for the damn stuff, but it does work on plastic port materials.

On glass you have options baby. The image looks like dried up butyl rubber, possibly some sort of liquid form when applied, but didn't like years of UV. I'd recommend 3M 4000 UV (polyether). It sticks good, is less prone to color change as polyurethanes, can tolerate considerable movement and is readily available.

8. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Sikaflex 292 - grey

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Why grey?

10. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Wynand is being politically correct!

11. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

If yiu use silicone, use RTV732, it is an acid cure, and it eats the glass to set in well.

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I can get Cheap 1 dollar silicone tubes

I can get Sikaflex most types.

I can get Bostik/selleys (teak deck look alike) bedding compound made specially for cork decks and I have used it before.

It looks like silicone (shiny finish) but is a urethane. It seems to hold up better than the Sika in ultra violet light.

This would be my choice -unless you guys think otherwise.

13. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Elementary my dear Frostry, because SikaFlex 292 is only available in grey :D
    That said, it is such an excellent structural bonding compound and at times such as when I fit glass, wish it was available in black...expensive though.

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I was under the impression that the difference with skaflex products was the drying times. I know that there are some that take days to go off.

It is expensive,--have you tried the building sikaflex? it appears to have the same instructions for use and shelf life making me think we are being taken advantage of with the marine use thing.

As huge sky scrapers today are glass and bonded together with some fillet I wonder what they use. I don't see them raking out what must be miles of fillet every 5 years. Oh jeez I wish I knew more.

15. PAR

In a word Frosty, "polyether". This is the stuff that sticks to glass. Polyurethanes don't stick very well.