Rig and Mast dimensioning online

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by quequen, May 29, 2012.

1. quequen

quequen Senior Member

To be frank, I don't know if this is working well, as I don't have any real examples to check. It follows (or tries, at least) "Principles of Yacht Design", Nordik Boat Standard, refer to the book for further info. Just inox 1x19 and alluminium sections, no carbo, no wood.
    Known problems: Just one user at a time, Non checking for inconsistent data, Input works with a Form, very unconfortable, I know...

http://klz-rigandmast.blogspot.com.ar/

I'll appreciate some real example to check for bugs, errors etc.

2. quequen

quequen Senior Member

Thanks to the tryers! many errors are fixed and it seems to be working well for 2 spreaders and now for 1 spreader also.
    I'm thinking to add a window showing the last input data, perhaps it will help understanding of results.
    Important: use point (.)to separate decimals, and nothing to separate towsends.
    Again, I'll appreciate any real example to check formulas and results ;)

3. quequen

quequen Senior Member

New window added to show "Last Input Data", it will help to check for bad inputs. Outputs can easily be transferred to Excell:
    1- select by painting the entire table data
    2- copy and paste it on an opened notepad.txt empty file
    3- now, select by painting the entire notepad.txt content, copy and paste it at the first cell on a new sheet.

Still waiting for some real examples!

4. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

I've looked at your project and would suggest another direction might be more useful for most people.

If you limited the inputs to things like CPW/2, "I", RM, #spreaders, etc, (all the inputs needed to calculate the spar design).

Then let your spreadsheet calculate the optimal spreader locations, spreader lengths, shroud locations, rigging sizes, etc.

Of course you could have override input boxes for someone who wants to use some existing rigging, etc.

Just a suggestion based on how I think people would want to use a tool like this. I used to have a Lotus 123 spreadsheet that did this.

5. quequen

quequen Senior Member

Paul B, I've got your point, I also wish that tool! If you still have the 123 spreadsheet and want to share it, perhaps I can try to hang it online. No needing of making the core spreadsheet public, just the output results. (In fact, perhaps you can do it by yourself, it's not dificult at all).
    There is a limitation if your spreadsheet uses scripts to iterate, script languages are slightly different from one spreadsheet software to another.

Your suggestion on override boxes is exactly how this kind of tool should work, but can't be done by now with googledocs, as it has just the Form system as safe and private input data vehicle. Another way is to make a public "Input Data" spreadsheet, but it's a pain to keep it working.
    I wish I have the time to make this things in Flash or Dreamweaver, but I can not for now.

6. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

I probably still have that in a box somewhere. It would be on a 5.25" floppy disk. Since I no longer have a computer with 5.25" drives or with Lotus 123 I doubt it would be useful to look for it.

That version had some proprietary information in the calculations, info that I did not own. So I don't think I would post it even if I could.

The eame thing could be done inless than a dy in excel, using Skenes or some other source as your basis.

7. quequen

quequen Senior Member

Sorry, thought it was your's. I have 2 old machines carrying 5.25, one of them is still DOS and works ok. Good as dust storage anyway.

Hope someone take the challenge! There are a cup of good online tools on the web, maybe they'll growup in both quality and quantity.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.