William Garden Designs

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by dick stave, May 19, 2007.

1. dick stave

dick stave Senior Member

I came across an old set of plans for a tunnel stern cruiser by "Wm. Garden Naval Architect" called " Heron" and was wondering if anyone had anymore information on this boat? Also, upon further investigation, I saw another Bill Garden design called " Puddleduck " (also very nice ). Does anyone know if these boats are in available publications by Mr. Garden? Thanks...

Attached Files:

2. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

3. dick stave

dick stave Senior Member

Thanks Raggi , I looked through the archives at Mystic Seaport and couldnt find it either. It seems a lot of Mr. Gardens designs were listed as "unidentified". I was amazed at his body of work. I will be buying his yacht design book. I also understand he designed a series of long narrow boats. Like Bolgers "State" series?

4. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

he was THE MASTER, like Robert Clarke, very prolific

5. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

I used to look and read (he's funny too) in the black large edition of his Yacht Designs (I) a the library when I was a student. Now I have newer versions of his I and II, but I think the drawings are even better in the old editions.

6. dick stave

dick stave Senior Member

Thanks Lazeyjack. As you know im looking for a new project and I really like this boat. The only thing thats throwing me off is the flat bottom as I would like to spend some time in the protected waters off the p.n.w. coast. I successfully designed a nasty chine trip into my little dory jet boat so Im a little gun shy of flat-ties (not that Im making any comparison to the esteemed Mr. Garden) I just dont like the pounding. Any opinions on the seaworthiness of this design? I do spend the majority of my time in the Fraser and this is one slick shallow draft cruiser from what I can see...

7. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The good folks at MIT have a very comprehensive marine plans/ file set.

Perhaps they have what you are looking for.

FF

8. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

well mate I cant SEE the sections there, you can be quite flat aft, like 7-12 and still have a very veed entry, you then get the best of both worlds, quite easy landing up weather, and stable ride with following seas. there is nothing worse than broaching downweather, do you have some sections to show us?
    Fred I still dont have your lines?

9. RockyShore

RockyShore New Member

more information?

Heron is a fascinating design. Can you summarize more information such as length, beam, draft, and displacement? I had trouble reading the study plans. Is there a source for better resolution?

10. dick stave

dick stave Senior Member

Using the scale in the top left hand corner, she appears to be 24 ft. loa x 8-8ft.6" beam. Draft appears to be 12". Thats all I have as well...

11. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Dick, you can get a copy of the original article from Toad Hall. A 4 page booklet with 3 plates, #5248 – How to Build Heron by Wm. Garden NA.

Gary

12. dick stave

dick stave Senior Member

Thanks Gary, They are on order. Weston Farmer...Hmmm, I love his designs as well. A guy could dedicate the rest of his days to building the classics. Not a bad idea...

13. dick stave

dick stave Senior Member

I recieved Heron plans yesterday. Specifications are Length: 24 Ft.
    Draft: 10 1/2" Speed: 8 mph with 25-hp engine.Beam is 7 Ft. 5". Propeller is specified 13" Dia. (shaft speed and pitch are not) How do I calculate this?

14. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

could you show a rough draft of the plans ? for a 24ft boat with 10and 1/2 ft draft?

15. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

I can do this but I need the engine speed, reduction, and or shaft revolution per min\
    do you see, if the engine is 25bhp at 100 rpm(which it is not) or 25 bhp at 2800, which it may well be, your answer will be very different

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.