William Atkin Seabright Skiff

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by russ@riverland., Nov 22, 2007.

1. russ@riverland.

russ@riverland. Junior Member

Looking for someone who might have built "NAIAD", a 28ft x 8'8" x 2' seabright skiff. I have acquired the plans and intend to strip plank the hull in lieu of lapstrake. The designer calls for Cedar planking on Oak frames with Oak keel and deadwood. I have a ready supply of French Oak but am concerned about the topside weight if I should plank the hull completely in Oak, plus of course sheave inside and out. I have enough Oregon to plank above the waterline if this is a better option, but want to have a fully polished hull if possible. Safety is the priority though! Anyway, hopefully someone out there may have built one and will be able to help me with end displacement etc?

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I would strongly suggest you pass your intended plans deviations through a qualified designer. Lapstrake planking is about the lightest form of traditional construction going, unless you get involved with composite builds (which aren't especially traditional). Trading this in for a build method that would likely double the hull shell weight (or more) isn't an easy thing to recommend without some study of the original plans.

You don't need a Naiad builder as much as you need a NA to review your ideas, substitutions and requirements. For what it's worth, the Atkins seabright model is one I'm very familiar with and a wonderful sea boat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.