Attaching stringers to transom?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by mikkyle, Nov 22, 2004.

1. mikkyle

mikkyle New Member

Hello all,
    I'm new to the forum, but is a great source of info, and I'm loving it.
    I'm replacing the plywood transom and 1"stringers in my old 1950s fiberglass 16' boat. The stringers are about 3" wide where they meet the transom, and taper as they go forward. They were attached to the hull with resin and glass completely up the sides, but only across the tops in places.
    What I was going to do, after epoxying in the transom, was to completely enclose the stringer in epx/glass with the glass cloth staggered to the hull, as to not have any hard spots.
    My question is, do I tab the stringers into the transom with the same stagger, or what is the best way to attache. I cant tell if the stringers were originally attached hard to the transom as they were rotted and loose.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated
    Mike

2. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

Mike,

You can continue the stringers over the transom and make them connect or, if you don't want to do that, put brackets at the end of the stringers in the corners of the transom and hull. Either way, make sure these corners have a nice radius.

3. mikkyle

mikkyle New Member

thanks peter,
    It seemed to me that the stringers should be attached to transom, where the meet, but just wasnt sure. The old orig stringers did butt up against the old transom, but couldnt tell if they had been attached or not.
    So do you think just a bond of epoxy filler on mating surfaces and then glass cloth/resin layered over it would be correct?
    Thanks
    Mike

4. Glenner

Glenner New Member

Having similar problems with my 1956

Saw your question, have same such questions, plus or minus. also the width sounds diff. than mine etc. Am planning to raise the front bow 5-7 inches , tapering down just past halfway back down the hull towards the stern. Have much to discuss/share , on line but since there is so much similarity could you possible call me , 209-599-7787 Thanks Glenn. IRglenner@yahoo.com