Will This Work ?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by wooky30014, Sep 22, 2012.

1. wooky30014

wooky30014 Junior Member

I'm still in the planning and material gathering stages of my rebuild. The hull, a 19 ft SeaBird, has been stripped out of all rotten wood and has been on hold til the economy gets a little better. I came across a "free boat hull" and took the hardtop and cuddy with windshield off of it (rest of it was scrap). All the measurements I've taken say the cuddy will fit with some minor mods to it and the SeaBird deck cap. One of my concerns with all this is there a point where the cuddy will be too far forward making the boat too bow heavy and unstable. The helm will be moved back about 2 1/2 feet from the original location (not a problem, steer cable will still work). I'd appreciate any input from anyone who has done something similar. The pics show the Bird and the cuddy after I cut it loose, I can get more/better pics if needed

Attached Files:

2. Commuter Boats

Commuter Boats Commuter Boats

Take a look at the a photo of the seabird that you posted, notice how the hull is deformed at the forward port trailer support..... it may be possible to save this hull ( it needs to be supported better now, not next month, might already be too late ) but you'd probably be money ahead to just trash the whole thing

3. wooky30014

wooky30014 Junior Member

Yes Commuter Boats, that has been addressed (good eye there), the SeaBird pic is actually from before I gutted it. First I took that set of brackets off and let gravity ease the hull back where it should be (it's been sitting for about 3 years now)then last week I replaced both bunks (and adjusted) and extended them up to those brackets. The hull is now supported and straight from there to the transom on the same chine (?) that the stringers will be. Yes, this Bird has a liner but also has stringers, 2x6 or 2x8, can't remember but it'll be measured again when I get to that point

4. wooky30014

wooky30014 Junior Member

I guess I'll just do the best I can with this as I come to it, I have a lot to do before having to tackle this modification, either way the Seabird windshield will have to come off to redo it

5. wooky30014

wooky30014 Junior Member

Update, the needed funds are on the way but I was able to set the cabin on the deck cap for now mainly for space out back. It will fit as I thought, although some trimming here and there will be needed for a flush and level fit. I will end up matching the front hatch openings for the perfect fit front to back and side to side. The two straps are temporary as there is nothing holding the hull from splaying out at the point, after transom ply/epoxy and gunnel wood is installed the cap should fit right back as it should and stringers, deck, and interior bracing will finish up right easily

Attached Files:

• Boat.jpg
      Boat.jpg
      File size:
      421.8 KB
      Views:
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.