Will teak prices sore....

Discussion in 'Materials' started by NauticalLumber, Jan 6, 2008.

1. NauticalLumber

NauticalLumber Nautical Lumber Co.

Look out! Teak lumber prices may sore after Jan, 15 2008. Congress is back in cession to vote on prohibiting the importation of teak into the US. Last week I was contacting vendors from around the country on how their supply of FEQ (First European Quality) teak was holding up and what the current price was. To my surprise, many are no longer selling it. The ones that do have it are sitting on it (wont sell at any price) until congress meets on Jan. 15. More then one source told me to expect a price increase of at least 30%.
    Some alternative hardwoods with similar characteristics are:

Afromosia (West Africa): This Teak substitute is a favorite of some boat builders because it darkens with time instead of bleaching out like Teak when exposed to weather. It has a rich brown color and interesting grain patterns. The average weight is 3-1/2 pounds per board foot and durable enough for a wide range of interior and exterior uses.

Cumaru (Brazil) Brown with gold tones. Oily to the touch like teak. Turns silvery gray if not treated. 4 ΒΌ pounds per board ft.

Hope this is informative to everyone.
    Regards,
    Mike Stennettt
    Nautical Lumber Co

2. Gypsie

Gypsie Randall Future by Design

How much teak do you want??

3. NauticalLumber

depends on the price..Im still a little fish swimming in a large pond when it comes to purchase power. I would be interested in hearing more on what you have to offer. Please contact me through my email: Mike@nauticallumber.com

4. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Mike,

Teak prices sore means they are painful, Teak prices soar means they will climb in price and become even more painful. Hope you don't mind a little humour? :D

Pericles

5. NauticalLumber

Humor is good!:p

6. Gypsie

Gypsie Randall Future by Design

Yeah a real pain in the wallet mate

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.