HydroStatic Calculations

Discussion in 'Stability' started by Mr R, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Mr R

Mr R Junior Member

Dear All,

I am have done all the calculations in Software. I now am finding it difficult to remember certain things and also I have to manually do some calculations because softwares do give the answer following only one method.

Could some please upload an XL which is programmed for all hydrostatic values.

Any kind of help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Olav

Olav naval architect

3. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

If you are a student you will learn far more by writing your own spreadsheet then by trying to use someone else's.

If you are a professional then .........

4. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

I fully agree with this.

5. Mr R

Mr R Junior Member

David,

I am a professional.. I work with softwares Tribon mostly so I get the answers with the click of a button, but certain calculations got to be done in hand, as software wil have done it using alternative method,

Eg. Damage stability I want it to be done using Lost buoyancy but teh software we use does it with added weight.

So for this I need an excel so that I can check it out

6. Mr R

Mr R Junior Member

Olav,

Thank for that link, will check in that right away

7. lumberjack_jeff

lumberjack_jeff Sawdust sweeper

I didn't appreciate the wisdom of this before I became a student. Now I fully agree.

8. Mr R

Mr R Junior Member

Hi,

I just checked in Spreadsheet Library, But in those I found one useful but the thing is I have to start from the scratch like feeding offset table and stuff.

Does somebody have an excel programmed to just start the hydrostatic calculations while I just give the required inputs?

9. JRD

JRD Senior Member

That might just be because it needs that data to do any worthwhile calculation. It sounds like you just might be better off with the virtual reality spread sheet.... :D It knows exactly what you want and only requires data you feel like entering. Just so convenient!

10. Mr R

Mr R Junior Member

JRD,

Only if that available. Anyways I figured out a way. Just stuck with some calculation unable to get through.. Dont know what is that silly mistake am making. Working on Damage stability calculation using Lost Buoyancy Method.

Stuck with BML calcs :-( :)

11. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Mr R,
    Without the offset table as input, how can Mr Excel know what does your hull look like? :)

12. Mr R

Mr R Junior Member

Daiquiri,

I didnt mean that. I just wanted a simple Excel where I have only the formulas, I just wanted to enter the Awp, LCB, LCF, IL, COG, what ever, I call them primary stuff on which many other Parameters depend on.

Of course without Offset it is difficult. I wanted only half girth values and Sectional areas for 0 to 10 stations for which in excel it was linked to another sheet. So if I had sat generating the offset I would have been doing that for all week.

Instead I just calculated half girth, Area of sections from my Lines and Put those only required inputs and boom!!!! I got the entire Hydrostatics right on my screen

This is what i meant my Simple one

13. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Several considerations when using a spreadsheet from the internet:

1) Does the spreadsheet do what you think it does?

2) Is the input well documented or are you making assumptions? LCB is an interesting example. There are at least three conventions for the numerical value of LCB. How do you know which the spreadsheet uses?

3) Are there any mistakes in the spreadsheet? How do you know there are none? How much checking and verifying are you willing to do.

14. Mr R

Mr R Junior Member

Well its easy to verify,

Just have a copy of what you want to calculate and using which formulas. Anyways the stations, simpsions multipliers and a few are same what so ever. Just edit the formulas if its the one you want use and you have what you want.

As you are using Excel errors can be minimum when it comes to operations. Just ensure the inputs obviously which u give are correct, and formulas as well.

Its also easy to find which formula the spread sheet is using to find a particular parameter. Eg. BML or LCB. Just double click it and see the highlighted cells and you know it. Trace it back from the answer

15. bbsboat

bbsboat Junior Member

I use hydromax,very easy to use. You can also use free SHip to do it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.