Will $5/gallon gas change the next boat you buy?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by IMP-ish, Aug 11, 2011.

?

Will $5/gallon gas change the next boat you buy?

1. Yes – going smaller

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  2. Yes – going single

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. Yes – going slower

27 vote(s)
    54.0%
  4. Yes – going lighter

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  5. No

17 vote(s)
    34.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Yup the oil and gas giants are going to pinch every dime they can out of this. And people wonder why I've been exploring alternative fuels for so long. The big 7 oil companies are just a spin off of the monopoly break up of Standard Oil not really so long ago. Its not like anything really changed. Its still a monopoly and they've no intention of letting it go till they've bled everyone dry. Unless, you learn how to be energy independent.

I did a thread in here called "whats cheaper motor or sail" in which we explored the costs of sailing VS power. Interesting thread. I kinda went into it thinking sail would be cheaper but its not. At least in many areas. Now maybe thats changing. Oil prices were low if I remember at the time but now, there's no end in sight to the increasing in costs.

Hmmmm can't wait to try some seaweed as a feedstock for they pyrolysis system. Wouldn't that be interesting to be able to use say, kelp as a fuel.

2. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

That's about what it takes for my 20 ton to run at 11 mph...if that's 40 miles total for your little boat- I know it's hard,but you need to slow down!! ;)

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

yup speed is all important when thinking mileage

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

While I sit here typing I have just heard on the TV in the lounge that USA stocks of fuel are overflowing and will increase export of oil and fuels by 22% next year.

There is no reason for oil to be so high, only in the eyes of a speculator whilst he buys and sells manipulating prices that WE have to buy.

When will this madness stop. We need more than anything else jobs to promote growth. How can this be done with oil so precarious. Stabalize oil and we are half way there.

An oil price that we can figure into costs for transport can enable a company new or old to compete and there fore grow.

Oil can not and must not be traded like gold --one is lifes blood the other is not.

The stock market is the ruin of the world. if it was closed today only the rich would put out thier bottom lip.

5. Boston

Boston Previous Member

stable oil is against big oil and coals prime objective, to keep prices volatile and steadily climbing. Had it not been for the big collapse we'd be looking at $5 fuel right now.

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

A whisper of war has nothing to do with the oil company yet sends oil up.

When you' buy "anything in Singapores oil industrial area Loyang you had better make sure that they know you are not from an oil company or you will pay 3 times the price.

I was warned of this and it is true, from a small welding job to having a life raft serviced.

How much !!!! Im only a yachty, Oh Oh sorry I thought you were from Shell.

Oil companys dont give a damn because 'you' will pay for it.

7. J Feenstra

J Feenstra Junior Member

maybe this "oil crisis 2.0" will give the motor sailers a new boost?
    it poses a fun challenge for Yacht designers and the shipping industry.

8. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

i was taliking aboout frosty using 100 lt for a 40 mile round trip he was talking about. my 10 hp volvo diesel would take a while to chew that much fuel.

9. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  10. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Somehow I don't think slowing down is an option for him.

Now sailing a MOTH that would be both fuel efficient and fast not to mention exhilerating!

-Tom

11. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Oh WP-I was looking at your rocket boat on your profile:
    "savage lancer 26 twin mercruiser 351 ford shaftdrives.

12. whitepointer23

i need to remove that. i have gone to the darkside and bought a sailboat.

13. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Once upon a time on the other side of this planet i owned a 22 foot trailer sailer that was partly given to me as a hull and deck and in bits and i had to put it all together myself .Any way during the building assembly and getting it ready for the water i went searching for a outboard to hang over the back on a bracket after looking at what other people were using ( 2 to 5 hp )it hit me go big young man!!! so i did, i put a 35 hp on the back ! wow why so big ? well i used to be a powerboat person and did skiing and fishing and all those usual things so once the boat was finished and in the water and we were sitting on a sand bar raising the mast ,fastening rigging and putting up sails ,lacing up blocks and winchs etc etc then pushed off and went sailing for a couple of days with the family !!, i discover the joys of a fast planning sail boat . Wind up the swing keel , drop and tie the sails and crank up the 35 and this thing could really go move !!!
    So how many trailer sailers have you seen towing a waterskier and charging about having fun ??
    Coming home after a couple of days cruising and enjoying the secluded bays and a quiet leisurely couple of days I would callinto a small bay close to the end of the channel to get home and dropped the mast and packed everything away while my wife and kids made dinner and every one got comfortable and ready for the long haul against the tide but once mobile we were passed by the fleet of big powerboats with there noses in the air and big smiles it was time to crank up the revs and get planning up the 5 kilometers of channel all the way back to the ramp .
    The looks on the faces of people in ther big power boats as a trailer sailer went flying past was worth recording . I remember one guy in his launch siting on the flybridge watching us coming and reaching for the throttle and pushing it to max as we cruised on by and gave him a wave .
    So it is possible to have a foot in both worlds !! sailing and fast cruising is always possible !!
    The arabs been doing this for years with there big Dhows , smuggling !! some were fitted with two or three aircraft engines and when they didnt want to get caught just cranked up the big motors and left there pursuers in the weeds .
    Could start a new craze !! use the 350 v8 in a 30 foot sail boat as internal ballast !!! that would be pretty intesting to watch !!

1 person likes this.
  14. whitepointer23

great story tunnels, i have thought of doing that to. there are plenty of trailer sailer designs that plane . i like the mac 26 but i have heard that they don't sail well.

15. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

If it done sail well who cares just a quick flick of the key and you're flying !!
    !! Be nice to use a good powerful electric motor thats silent and you could sail in any direction and really fast !!. :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.