Will $5/gallon gas change the next boat you buy?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by IMP-ish, Aug 11, 2011.

?

Will $5/gallon gas change the next boat you buy?

1. Yes – going smaller

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  2. Yes – going single

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. Yes – going slower

27 vote(s)
    54.0%
  4. Yes – going lighter

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  5. No

17 vote(s)
    34.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. fcfc

fcfc Senior Member

Beware of alternative fuels. They are essentially free while nobody uses them. As soon as the demand increase a bit, price reaches near petrol price.

At one time, wood chips was waste. (about 10 years ago). With the advent of such boilers http://www.euroheat.co.uk/W/HDG/148/Wood-Chips-Boilers.htm , and increased petrol price, wood chips are now a commercial product nobody give for free.

2. Boston

Boston Previous Member

you just have to stay ahead of the game, I use WVO when I can get it but your right, folks are basically fighting for that stuff these days. So I turned to WMO cause its easy to get and I've got an exemption to carry it. Day will come when that to is hard to get for free as well so I'm already working on my next system, but yah, you gotta stay flexible to stay ahead in the fuels game.

3. Wayne Grabow

Wayne Grabow Senior Member

I built my own 18 1/2' launch with an ETEC 50 hp outboard. By using WEST system epoxy and building technique, the weight is much less than fiberglass would be. The boat has been out eight times this summer and has used 16 gallons of fuel. Fuel usage averages about one gallon per hour. Top speed is 30 mph (at 5000' altitude with five passengers). The real fuel usage comes from towing the boat to and from the lake, but even on the road a light boat is easier to tow.

4. Chase_B

Chase_B Junior Member

I'm already covered, my boat is 1/2 electric and 1/2 gas, I have used the 4hp gas motor for close to 8 hrs and consumed 1 gal. Of fuel
    Boat weigfhs 300 lbs 4 seat, the elictric is a bow mounted 50lb thrust trolling motori

5. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

id buy a boat if gas was only 5 dollars

1 person likes this.
  6. Chase_B

Chase_B Junior Member

Pretty soon boats will be $5.00 and we will go to the mortgage companies to finance a week end cruise at 5 percent for a 15 year note.

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

We saw what will happen in 2008. Here any way people stopped cruising, cut back on Sunday runs and car pooled , some even sold up and bough motorcycles or bicycles.

TV is full of Electric car documentaries and how good they are, then the fuel greedy stock dealers get the jitters because fuel stocks get high and it falls back to 60 dollars when Saudi starts complaining.

Humans are not anything if not predictive and repetitious.

People will always buy boats--economical ones, which Is what Im not worried about my 44ft 500hp power cat. I can cruise at 40 liters per hour at 18kts. Try that on any 44ft Azimut

8. taniwha

taniwha Senior Member

yep that's why we have a built a slender passagemaker lite at a gallon per hour. No fuel price worry for me.

9. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

frosty your 40 lt an hour is terrific but even that will become prohibitive. in aus today that is $60 an hour at cruise. $1000 for a weekends running around. i have just fixed my fuel consumption by buying a 30ft mono sail boat, i won't be able to travel as far but i guess i will have fun getting there anyway. my wife says i will never run out of wind. that cat of yours is impressive though, you must have them surface drives working pretty good.

10. Wayne Grabow

Wayne Grabow Senior Member

No. With a new efficient 50 hp outboard, my powerboat averages about 1 gallon per hour. That is cheap entertainment.

11. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Motor Sailers

Once upon a time many motorsailers were designed, built, and sold. These boats were comfortable and proved very desirable for extensive cruising. Built of wood, strongly framed, and powered with big heavy engines, they were somewhat compromised in sailing ability and certainly did not power at high speeds. They were never expected to do so.

Beautiful yachts of this persuasion were designed by Rhodes, Davis, Mason, and Hand to name just a few. These boats were handsome and purposeful. They were motorsailers that went to sea, provided great range and served their owners well. Designs such as these were capable of long voyages with a minimum crew and appreciated for their reliability of sail.

Owners perfected the art of motorsailing. They depended upon the stability and economic advantages motorsailers provided. Wonderful boats were these, masterfully designed and tastefully detailed.

We don't hear much of motorsailers these days. They're not a popular subject. Traditional motorsailers have always been such a compromise, they have fallen into disfavor in the market, and in the boating literature. The term has even had negative connotations for several decades now. Should not today's boats be faster and better with new materials, light marine diesels, and better shapes? Should not this be the sensible alternative, the common sense move up from the beloved family sailboat? When trawler options are discussed, suggestions of boredom arise. A lifetime of sail would be discarded, and what happens when the motor quits? Well, hopefully it won't quit, but one can always sail home in a boat with sails on it. For truly long-range cruising and/or remote exploration, the motorsailer can outshine both the sailing aux and the trawler types.

We need to modernize the motorsailer....

...more here: http://www.runningtideyachts.com/motorsailing/

...and here: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/motor-sailers-philip-rhodes-john-alden-16721.html

1 person likes this.
  12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

What can I say, if you cant afford it don't buy one . That goes with helicopters private aircraft or muscle cars.

1000 Aussie is about 600 quid, thats an expensive weekend.

Where I boat thats 1.2 tons of fuel,--- I don't know what you going to do in a weekend but thats 540 miles.

Island hopping and mussel and cockle hunts is more my line with the gen on and cockle curry on the pot in a secluded bay watching the sun go down with ice cold skoll.

Whats with all this engine running stuff.

13. whitepointer23

thats ten hours cruising at 18 knots in your cat. i can easily do that here on our lakes, its 100 km from where i live to the entrance of the lakes. a neighbouring boat did it a few weeks ago and used 650 lts for the weekend. i am not saying i would do it all the time but it is something we do here. brian you 100 % correct, i love motor sailers because they are usually easier to live on than a pure yacht and faster under power.

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I can of course cruise around with one engine at twice your top speed and if she wants to pick up her petty coat and run she will muscle up to 24knots.

So for 100 liters I can pop out to islands 20 miles away and be back for tea.

But with economy in mind I don't, or would I ever go Marlin or Sail fin fishing 200 miles out to sea.

Its an economical boat that can be as gentle as a mouse but with a rumbling head turning thunder if I want.

But again if economy and fuel consumption is your primary consideration you would not be reading in the power boat section.

15. whitepointer23

economy is going to be everyones consideration, fuel prices will only get worse. i have always had power boats but now i will give sailing a go , i can still use the motor if i want to go fishing. i think i was pretty clear in saying your boat is economical but is it enough the way prices are going. 100 lt for a 40 mile round trip is $150 here.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.