Fuel coefficient value.

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Adeyele, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Adeyele

Adeyele Junior Member

Dear all,

I want to calculate the fuel consumption of a vessel. i have the formular- Displ^0.7*V^3/fuel coefficient. But i dont know wat wil be d value of the fuel coeficient.

The vessel installed power is 300kw

Did any1 knows how to get the fuel coefficient value.

Looking forward to a reply.

Regards
    Mike

2. johneck

johneck Senior Member

Fuel consumption is generally given as grams/kW-hr and a reasonable number would be something like 220 g/kW-hr. So to calculate fuel consumption you need to know how much power you will actually be using and for how long. so 300 kW for 10 hrs would take 220*300*10/1000=660 kg of fuel. I think that the displ^0.7*v^3 might be an attempt to determine power required to go a certain speed, but I don't know where it came from or if it is appropriate for your vessel.

3. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

That's one odd formula. The 0.7 looks like a single-decimal round-off of the fraction 2/3. If so, then the term Displ^0.7 appears to stand for Displ^(2/3), dimensionally an area.

So the formula apparently is a semplification of a general formula
    (1) Power,effective = 0.5*rho V^3 A Cf
    which is valid only for low speeds, where wave resistance is negligible. Cf is the friction coefficient and A is the wetted area, substituted by Displ^(2/3).
    The engine power will be given by
    (2) Power,engine = Power,effective / (prop_efficiency * gear_efficiency)
    and the power fed into the engine by the fuel will be given by:
    (3) Power,fuel = Power,engine / thermal_efficiency.
    Finally, the fuel consumption will be
    (4) FC = Power,fuel / fuel energy content

By comparing the formula (4) to the OP's Displ^0.7*V^3/FC (FC= fuel coeffcient) we see that the "fuel coefficient" in the OP's formula is a number which contains all the passages from (1) to (4), which means that it is tightly related to a specific ship and power plant, and is hence impossible to express as one-fits-all number.

Cheers

4. CDK

CDK retired engineer

The 300 kW machine burns 66 kg of fuel if it is a modern one, up to 80 kg if it is an oldie.
    To estimate the distance, you need at least all the data diaquiri mentioned, plus a computer and a spreadsheet. And the outcome may still be very wrong unless waves and wind are also considered.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.