Why Use Design Software

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Wynand N, Nov 6, 2004.

1. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Not quite true - the creational factor is in the master's EYE and MIND. If a computer is the primary tool, a good "master" can still create a beautiful boat. I have not used a pencil and paper for 15 years now, and while I hate to toot my own horn, I would not call my boats ugly. :)
    Steve

2. OrionsSword

OrionsSword i dont know

"new breed" designers

Hey i take offence to this i am a part of what you call the "new breed" and i learned everything i know about building and designing boats from sailing on more boats than i care to remember and spending way to many freezing january nights in the boat yard near my house checking out the undersides of the boats. i dont have design software and couldn't afford it if i wanted it i do all the calculations on a corner of the page and as for instant computer designer i dont know if that exists those design programs are so frustrating there useless

Orion

PS i dont mean to make any one feel guilty about this i have offended more than my fair share of people with my opinions

3. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Hi everyone :)

Apology to OrionsSword, sorry for the offence. My opinions as per quote stands for square eyes. No offence meant to anybody. ;)

Seriously, this this thread was started to evoke some opinions from people with different preferences designing things that float.

I want to thank everyone thus far for their views and opinions.

At the end it all boils down to what you are comfortable with. It is not to say that this is better than that or vice versa.

Design software is a must in todays high tech world, especially for the professional NA. No point disputing that. It is fast, accurate and with a good CAD you can do wonders. You can even walk your client throught the boat on computer. A bit difficult on a drawingboard.

Then again, what D'ARTOIS says, are also true to someone who looks at the world through the same glasses, myself comes to mind.
    Yacht design to me is now a hobby and I design the occasional boat for someone if I take a liking to him/her. For me it is not about time, money, royalties or efficiency, but rather a work of love. For me nothing beats my old drawingboard in the study, it has soul.

Fair winds

Wynand Nortje

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.