why the hull parted in stern?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by sun, Dec 30, 2022.

1. comfisherman

comfisherman Senior Member

I think it's for connection and maneuver with heavily variable draft. Those fuel barges deliver to coastal locations where real industry occurs, the variation inbdraft is substantial.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The reason is that the crew of a tug is smaller than that of a large ship. Barges have small requirements for crewing too. It saves a lot of money in salaries and insurance. Some ships, like the St Marie's Cement is Lake Michigan have been cut down and modified for that reason. Also, a tug can move several different barges as necessary. That means only one power plant for several barges instead of ships each with its own. The maintenance and manning are a lot less.

3. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

My understanding of the reason for the barge/tug combination is similar to gonzo's. The crew required on the Great Lakes for a tug and a barge is much smaller than the crew required for a ship. I've also heard that the tug and barge for a semi-permanent pair and generally stay connected unless they need to be disconnected for service, etc.

4. comfisherman

comfisherman Senior Member

The one that delivers fuel to Kodiak is different than the one that delivers to the village but both look fairly similar in overall design. Guessing internally they are different in some ways.

The village barge does a route all the way up to northern parts of Alaska and starts a little bit west of kodiak in an area known as the chigniks. They deliver in very remote areas with limited or no auxillary tug service where tides and currents are very strong. I've seen one deliver in my home village on a tidal flat several times since the installation of the tank farm around 2004. They push the barge up the flat and old it as the tide boils around it. Eventually the barge rests on the flat until the tide goes out to a certain point and stabilizes. Depending on the captain they sometimes disconnect from the tow and anchor in the channel and come in a launch to run the hoses and pumps. One tug is setup to beach and it usually stays connected. They do 25 or 26 stops over a several month trip. On the way back they are good to avoid on the radio. Some of the most talkative and lonely folks on the vhf.....

The kodiak one does bigger and deeper pprts, but ones still more suited for barge than tanker. Actually most villages are best suited for tug and and barge even the deep water ones. Remember an October barge, that required they jog in the bay as the winds were high. They died down long enough for then to come in with the help of our harbor tug. It was late 2020 and the barge was way more empty than usual from interrupted service. Wind kicked up pretty hard not 2 minutes fron the dock. My stall had a solid view of the whole ordeal, was probably the most engine noise I'd ever heard come out of a modern tug. Those boys got it done but my guess is they had to change their underwear. It keeps us fueled all year, so must be fairly effective.

bajansailor likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.