Dual Miniature Surface Drives for 12' Catamaran?

Discussion in 'Surface Drives' started by aggieh20, Dec 17, 2009.

1. aggieh20

aggieh20 AggieH20

Hello, I am new to the thread. I am building a miniature offshore racing catamaran that has a single stepped hull. It is being built from fiberglass. LOA is 11' 6" and has a beam of 4'. Step is 1/4" that is located 54" from stern.

I am wanting to run a 80hp twin cylinder Kawasaki 750cc jetski engine mounted in the center of the boat. I have designed a pulley system to run two surface drives. They can be counter rotating or rotate the same direction. I plan on running the new three blade go devil props.

Question 1.How can I calculate the correct angle and or location that the drives need to be in so that I am not cutting holes time and time again in my hull to get it right?

Question 2.Is it feasible to not run counter rotating props since there is not a three blade prop available in the counter rotating form from go devil?

2. fishon91

fishon91 Junior Member

can't help you with your first question, but i notice that these guys (a reputable surface drive,not mud boat, company) use counter rotation, and use a different style prop. i know more about go-devil than i do about arneson, a weed shearing prop is probably not what you are gonna want to race offshore.

i can say that you are making a good decision using surface drive, just make sure you get it all set right or it'll be pointless.

show pics when you're done please

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

You must use counter rotation. I don't like the sound of your pully idea ,can you show Pics, 80HP is a bit much for belt unless you mean toothed belt!!!

Angle is 0 if you can get it, the configuration of the boat and your drive will be the decisive factor for that. 5 will be ok.

Don't skimp on shaft thickness, what are you think on rudders? Or rudder.

4. aggieh20

aggieh20 AggieH20

I have not yet decided on steering. I am in the process of designing a unit similar to arneson that allows for the surface drive to turn. I will be able to set the drives at any angle I choose. Will post pics when further along. Thank you for the input.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.