Why no performance specs for new sailboats?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Claus Riepe, Sep 5, 2007.

1. fcfc

fcfc Senior Member

The builder pays nothing. The builder makes money with. The one who will pay is always the customer. Any boat builder that don't make money building boats won't build boats for long. This is the very basis of business management.

The builder will cheat on any data useful for marketing if he can. Although there is an ISO rule for weigthS definition, it is very rare to find boats weigthing the advertised weigth.
    It has been mandatory to make CEE laws for the car manufacturers to publish reliable data on their products performances.

No. PHRF is based on statistical race results. http://www.ussailing.org/phrf/what_is_phrf.asp . It will include ALL parameters for determining its handicap, not only the inherent boat performance. Do you think the average crew level , sail equipement (number of sails, quality/age) or even cabin stuff is the same on a J/35 and westsail 32 ? But this is included in the PHRF handicap.

This is just my personal opinion. Anyone is perfectly free to think otherwise.

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Your naiveté about the repeatability of trials data astounds me even more than your belief about the usefulness of manufacturers data on speed. Munter said it best yesterday:

I cannot see any advantage to manufacturers for releasing predicted performance data. In fact all I see is a legal/marketing nightmare.

Let's say Monsieur Greedy wants to pick up an auld mug or two for the beach chateau. He does his math and figures he needs a minimum VMG of 7.2215 m/s at 30 apparent to take the pickle dish away from Signore Allegrissimo. So he consults his latest copy of Consumer Reports and lays down half a million euros for a Vivace 60 (not the church organ) which, by publishing performance data of a VMG of 7.25 m/s @ 30, enters into an implied contract with Monsieur Greedy. Another 200,000 euros for sails and a good "pick up" crew off his company sponsered ACC boat and he has the mantle cleared for the goodies. In the race he pulls a 4th in class out of 4 and is out of the silver with a maximum measured VMG at 30 apparent of 7.2007 m/s. He is now out 700,000 euros with nothing to show for it but the photo of the donkey tail pinned to him at the yacht club.

So, does he....fire the crew?....bad mouth the sailmaker in all the rags?...sue the manufacturer?

So Claus....what's your angle on all this?

(edit....in choosing fictious names based on music tempos for my example, I seem to stumbled upon an actual product....the fictious Vivace 60 racing sailboat is not related in any way, shape, or form to the Viscount Vivace 60 organ produced by Viscount International SpA - Classic Organs Division, PO BOX 5 - 47836 MONDAINO (Rimini) Italy - Tel +39 0541 981700 Fax +39 0541 98105)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  3. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

PHRF ratings are often based on things other than boat performance. There is no National Authority for PHRF in the USA, it is all regionally controlled. Some Areas are controlled by small groups of "good ol' boys" who look out for one another, and punish those not in their group. In other areas the ratings are handed out by people who sail around at the back of the fleet and have no idea what makes a boat go fast or slow. Some Handicappers base ratings on whether they can beat another sailor or not (golf handicapping).

So making a decision on the performance of a boat based on PHRF, or IRC, or any other handicap is pretty worthless.

4. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

I developed some time ago a labeling system for all kind of boats with sails, which intends to be an approach to solving the problem of 'first sight' identifying a boat's performance by the numbers.

If any of you is interested, it's here: http://www.xente.mundo-r.com/motorsailers/label.htm

Cheers.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.