Alubat Ovni 43. Seaworthy or not?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by neelie, Sep 24, 2007.

1. neelie

neelie Junior Member

I am looking for a blue water cruiser and am drawn to this design because of its rugged aluminum chined hull and shallow draft.

I am aware that its stability numbers are not "exemplary". (btw..Does anyone have any actual numbers?... I'm buying secondhand, so I doubt that the factory will give me any information)

I also know that it is a popular long distance offshore design which has done many voyages to the high latitudes. I've also read, but not understood,the theories about the dish like hull being resistant to rolling,

The problem I am facing is putting a meaning to these numbers. In the real world, how much worse is an AVS of 110 than say one of 140? I'm thinking that in any boat, if you're rolling past 110 in a breaking sea then nothing is going to stop the full roll except luck and a kindly wave.

It then follows that one might as well have an unsinkable Catamaran. Sure, it flips but at least it will stay afloat indefinitely.

So, in short, am I nuts to be considering this design for warm water, coral reef, trade wind cruising?

2. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Take a look here:

http://boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9199&page=2&highlight=ovni

The stability numbers are not impressive but the boat has a good reputation and lots of them cross oceans and circumnavigate.

The problem with a low AVS (110) is that with the furling genoa and radar set up that AVS will even be lower, approaching the 90ยบ barrier and making it difficult or impossible to recover from a simple knock-down and a knock down can happen only with wind. A very strong gust in freaky conditions can be enough, even without waves.

3. neelie

neelie Junior Member

Good Point!.. I hadn't considered the degradation of the AVS.

Its getting complicated now... Just as I was beginning to accept the 110 degrees AVS.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.