Laser repair

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by NathanW, Sep 14, 2023.

1. NathanW

NathanW New Member

I just purchased an older laser sailboat that had chipping paint on the hull. Once I removed it I found a couple areas that were soft with spider cracks.The hull has not lost its shape due to the soft spots. I do have hatch access inside the hull, how would I reinforce the hull to stiffen it up without having to cut into it?

2. Tops

Tops Senior Member

Is the boat taking on water? Can you shine a bright light on the cracks and see them inside the hull? Do you have pictures of the areas to post?

3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Pretty open ended question. Sorry, not familiar with the boat. Are the soft spots localized? Give us some pictures.

4. Tops

Tops Senior Member

NathanW, if you have access to the area from the inside of the hull already you are a step ahead.

Here is a link to another forum (that has a Laser section) where they show how to blind patch a Sunfish (instruction page and video). You would not need to use the same woven roving. The guy in the video has a blog that is worth paging through.

Hole in hull https://sailingforums.com/threads/hole-in-hull.46720/#post-217317

The interesting thing about Sunfishes is that they are a single layer of heavy roving with resin and gelcoat versus multiple layers of thinner materials. The Lasers could be similar, I am not experienced with them to know for sure. Here is a thread where I am scratching my head about two of my boats. There is a video about another repair method and some cross sections. There is one cross section that shows a deck repair where they floated/flooded the cloth in resin, that is not a preferred method.

Late 1980's Chopper Gunning - Resin Rich? https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/late-1980s-chopper-gunning-resin-rich.68317/

Use the proper PPE for whatever materials and operations you do to the boat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.