Why I'm Following Sven Yrvind

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by sharpii2, May 7, 2020.

?

Do you believe Sven's latest Ex Lex will make it to New Zeeland.

1. Nope.

50.0%
  2. Probably.

30.0%
  3. Almost certainly.

20.0%
  1. A II

A II no senior member → youtu.be/oNjQXmoxiQ8 → I wish

This one could be build as a more livable ‘‘mountain bike of the oceans’’ for one or two people, I believe.

Selway Fisher Fulmar LOD 26¼' (8 m)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  2. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

For me, if going small was the goal, fast as all possible would be a big part of that. Wide flat bottom that could plane with a good wind will get you across many sections of ocean within a three day weather window. For rougher conditions and the few 4 plus day runs, high deck camber and weighted swing keel with watertight hatches should keep the weather out and you upright.
    I'd be looking at a modified crabclaw rig that angled to windward like a windsurfer for spilling excess air and maintaining an upright hull to get the best cross section shape in the water. Maybe the ability to stow the main and fly a headsail and a small removable mizzen for severe weather.

A month at sea would be the extreme, so supplies would be limited. There is about a 300 nautical mile run from Newfoundland to Greenland, after that, everything else, I think, is well under that in distance.

If the Azores or Hawaii are your goals, well, that's a different matter. Just getting from one side of the pond to the other, it shouldn't take that kind of stamina at sea.

I admire and even envy Sven his adventures, but he doesn't approach them the way I imagine I would. To be fair though, I'm not out there and he is. So...

BRAVO!

-Will (Dragonfly)

A II likes this.
  3. Clarkey

Clarkey Senior Member

Yes, respect to him for doing it but I would be far more interested to see your design than Yrvind's next one.

JPE likes this.
  4. Will Gilmore

I have been toying with an AiT design. Not that I'd venture out across an ocean in a ten footer, but a fun mental exercise.

-Will (Dragonfly)

5. KeithO

KeithO Senior Member

6. A II

7. Will Gilmore

Here's a quick sketch of the basic idea.
    20200828_164731.jpg
    The cockpit would support a dome tent or a spray skirt. The yuloh would have a rotating blade to double as a rudder. Its asymmetry, I think would not be a problem, but I am thinking of a moving pivot to allow for off-center position. The sail is more like a hang-glider wing and I think the CG could be designed so, with the CB up, it was very close to the WL. With a beamier WL than deck width, the draft should remain very shallow. The hard chine rises steeply at the bow so, on a heel, there is less lateral resistance forward and counters the diving effect of a plumb bow.

A transom arch allows for better clearance of sheets and braces and can mount a solar panel. I like the idea of a small removable mizzen for heavy weather sailing and sea anchor riding.

OOPS! I just noticed I drew the sail on the windward side. Oh well, I'm sure you can picture what I meant.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  8. A II

The westward move seem to have started, there's also a new post from Sven, among some other things he tells to have been at risk of an unwanted "rescue".

‘‘ . . . . In fact north of Faeroes island a rescue helikopter came out to investigate after I had been becalmed there for a few days. . . . . ’’

Sven Yrvind ExLex tracker 29-08-2020.png

Sven Yrvind ExLex II tracker screenshot on August 29, 2020, at the posting time of this post, at 62 days + 16½ hours in the trip from Ålesund, Norway.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  9. JPE

JPE Junior Member

Well, it's all thumbs up now for Sven and Exlex Minor to make it safely to the harbour.

Wonder if the next boat will be Exlex Major...

10. Clarkey

Clarkey Senior Member

There is some interesting stuff here. I do like the idea of a rig that can be struck quickly - I suspect that boats like this need to make progress when they can and then try to hang on to it when things are tougher. Low windage and the ability to dangle off a para anchor are probably key to this. An AD scull may be better suited to combined propulsion/rudder use than a traditional yuloh though?

I do think the cockpit opening may need to be smaller though? A nigh-on 5' diameter spray deck will just implode when hit by green water.

11. Will Gilmore

Thanks for the comments Clarkey.
    My thoughts about the cockpit are that it would be more like a sit-on-top kayak, in application, with more of the opening covered by a skirt or dodger that could be closed over or opened up. I would even consider a stern gate that could open like a walk through transom.

The crab-claw glider-wing sail should provide an easy way to spill air while also contributing lift to keep the boat upright when sailing.

As I see the performance of the boat, it would meet desired expectations if it could get up on a plane and sail with a headway similar to a Windmill or Laser. That might be unachievable, I have no idea. The sea-state would definately be the biggest limiter if planing was achievable. The idea of crossing in a small boat like this would be to take it in short hops, like you said. Only a few nights at sea, at a time, then wait for weather in a good port. Sailing a high performance boat for days on end would wipe a sailor out. How many hours can one spend hiking out on the rail?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  12. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

A II and Will Gilmore like this.
  13. Will Gilmore

14. bajansailor

That's just it - they ARE singlehanded.
    When the race first started there were basically no rules other than a maximum length of 6.5 m, and the early boats were very simple, yet seaworthy craft.
    As with all types of boat design the class evolved into what it is today.

Mini Transat 6.50 - Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_Transat_6.50#

https://www.afep-marine.com/pdf/Mini_Transat_3.pdf

Will, I like your sketch design posted above - but it does not need to 'evolve' much before it starts to resemble one of the new generation 6.50 m. scows.

15. bajansailor

At the opposite end of the spectrum, Henry's Glory is also under 6.5 m (approx 21'), being all of 19'6" on deck, hence she could also compete, but might take a bit longer.

Sven should have consulted Henry - Glory is a much more suitable boat for Sven's travels than any of his Exlex's.

Glorysailing1.jpg Glory article in PBO P 3.jpg Glory article in PBO P 2.jpg Glory article in PBO P 1.jpg

A II likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.